How to describe ourselves in writing

Could someone please publish the latest link to the "communication standards" we are supposed to use when writing something for the paper?

I'm helping the troop public relations scout (a scout who writes press releases and sends into the local newspapers)  It occurred to me that with all the changes Boy Scouts of America to Scouts BSA I cannot find the information on national's site.  And with the linked troops in the area it makes me wonder...how does one refer to ourselves in writing?

We used to publish as: Town Boy Scout Troop 1234
Should we now call ourselves: Town Scouts BSA Troop 1234B (all male youth members) and if a Linked girl troop starts up Town Scouts BSA Troop 1234G?  

Is it still acceptable to use the words Troop 1234 open to young men ages 11-18 or Troop 1234G open to young women ages 11-18?  Will our troop have to change all the troop numbers to include a B or G addition - or is that only required if troops are linked?

There must have been some written guidelines published but I can't find them today.  

yes, a message was sent to our DE with this question but they are still busy with getting the new Troops for girls up and running and paperwork processed, and scoutbook stuff so this is low on the list.

See this infographic: https://scoutingwire.org/this-infographic-shows-the-right-way-to-refer-to-girls-who-will-join-scouts-bsa/

A couple of the main points are never put the word "girl" directly in front of the word "scout"  and make sure that people cannot confuse your girls BSA troop with a GSUSA troop.   Also, for our town's recruiting night, we were careful about the wording so as not to imply that we are the only scouting organization in town.  (Since GSUSA is still around.)    As far as I know, there is no problem with continuing to put the word "boy" directly in front of the word "Scout" or "scout" -- though some people might be nit-picky about capitalization.

We are using just our 2-digit troop number for the girls' troop (which differs from the number of the boys troop).   We are not sticking a G on the end.  We are also ignoring as much as possible the annoying digit in the thousands place that our council is assigning to all girls troops in our council.  (Have not yet gotten the beascout alternate unit description working,  council says that national is working on that.)

1 hour ago, Momleader said:

... We used to publish as: Town Boy Scout Troop 1234

Should we now call ourselves: ..

My suggested hack would be:

Boy Scouts of America Troop 1234 for boys of Town.

or

Town's Boy Scouts of America Troop 1234 for boys.

It adds "of America" and "for boys" to your by-line. If the editor tells you that's too onerous then come back "Scouts BSA" instead of "Boy Scouts of America" then you only have a by-line that is only two words longer than before.

Linked?

Town's Scouts BSA Troops 1234 for boys and girls.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

As @qwazse suggested, I'd definitely try to get in the full organization name "Boy Scouts of America"  since the general public recognizes "Boy Scouts" but does not yet recognize "Scouts BSA", and since the program name changed from "Boy Scouts" to "Scouts BSA".