Jason, as others have, and as you now appear to be considering, I would encourage you to give Girl Scouting a try for your daughters. As a former Boy Scout (and an almost-Eagle like yourself), when my older daughter joined Girl Scouts, I too was somewhat surprised and also amused by the "I will try." But is it really that much different from "I will do my best to..."? I don't think so. It's just a different way of saying basically the same thing. The principles on which the two organizations are based, and what they try to teach the youth, are very similar. How they go about it, is of course somewhat different, but even that is not really all that different. I certainly would not let the wording of an oath or law affect my decision. My regret is that my daughters did not stick with Girl Scouting -- one stayed in until about the seventh grade and the other only stayed in until the second grade (and the older one's decision influenced the younger, since they actually dropped out right around the same time.)

So I think it would be good to see if your daughter(s) would like to give it a try. Then you need to decide whether to devote your "free time" to Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts -- or both. (My wife became a co-leader of each of my daughters' Girl Scout troops, my role like many of the dads was "driver.") I did not get involved in Boy Scouting again until my son joined Tigers, and in my son's Boy Scout troop now, all of the leaders are either fathers of current or former Scouts, or recent "graduates" from the troop. However, this does not necessarily have to be the case and it is not the case in many units. I know several people (including my father) who were Scoutmasters before they had any children at all or while their sons were years short of joining the Cub Scouts.

Jason,

You might think about joining or starting a Venture Crew. It's all about High Adventure for both girls and boys! Your girls may not be quite old enough yet (the program is for 14 year olds and up), but if you start with a Crew now it would be good and strong when they turn of age.

My daughter was a Girl Scout for 5 years until the troop just drifted apart (new teens, who can figure?!), but she saw a presentation by a national Venture member at the Council's banquet (her grandfather was awarded his Silver Beaver, way to go Dad!), and the young woman gave my daughter her full attention and encouragement when she talked to her. My daughter can't wait to turn 14 next year so she can get started!

Jason,

You'll be welcomed almost anywhere! (Who out there can't use another willing/able volunteer?)

While in Grad School, my wife & I served as Advisors for a co-ed Explorer post. A few years later in another area, I served as an Asst SM and had a great time. Wife didn't think it was such a great idea to continue after our second child was born, so I backed off a bit for a while. (Note: Consider the extent of your committment carefully. There will be times when family has to come first - if you don't have a kid in the game, scouts won't always take top priority.)

In one of the troops I serve, we have an outstanding former scout who's your age. He has two very small sons at home, so can't make most of the monthly campouts, but he's become an invaluable asset to our high adventure program. I drafted him to help out with our Boundary Waters canoe trip last summer and he's taking the lead for Philmont this summer. He's full of energy (puts this old guy to shame) and the guys love to hang out with him. I wondered about this for a while, then realized he's closer to them in age than he is to me!

Go for it!

-mike

Jason,

I have decided to answer only one part of your question. 'What would life be like if you had gotten your Eagle?'

I believe that you would have married into lots of money and had boys. You would now be a Scoutmaster of a great Troop and would most likely be up for the Silver Beaver. You would have lots of friends and projects galore. Most likely you would be going to Scout events every night of the week. Many would think of you as Mr. Scout instead of Mr. Mom. (Sorry, this was just for a little fun.)

But really,

As an adult leader, you will find a new perspective about Scouting. Your past has value and will give you insight but your present status has changed your duties and responsibilities and there are some remarkable opportunities that await you. Take a small job and get to know people. Get training. Once you have your directions, doors will open.

FB

Jason - Not all that surprising, given the concerns over child protection these days. I can understand a troop being cautious, but we would never make such a blanket statement.

This is why the district approach would likely be more successful. Get involved as a commissioner, a MB counselor or some other role. This would allow you to get introduced to the troops and eventually afford you the opportunity to get involved at a troop level.

In the mean time, why don't you just move over here to Kentucky, I'll put you to work.

Well I went down to the Council office and registered. I told them I would like to try to get in my old troop. So I got my old scout masters number and called him. NOTE (during the time I dropped out of scouting I came from a broken home....my mom got a divorce from step dad #4....I went into a home for kids.....there were rumors going around I was on drugs which I never was...just problems coping with the crap I was going through...and some friends I recruited from junior high got me in trouble when they were caught spying in the ladies restroom on a camp out...which I was there to try to get them away.) I called him up(my old SM) and he remembered me. I told him that I would like to help out. He said "Sure stop by Monday night if you want but we already have lots of adults helping." He asked me what I did with my life after I graduated high school.......Nothing. I was too scared to finish college because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was too afraid to go into debt for college and have no way to pay for it. He sounded like he had no interest in me. My life does seem like it has been a waste. Never been able to keep a good steady job. This last year I have been trying hard to turn a new leaf over. I got saved (which has opened my eyes) I never had a father...only step dads (in my life 4-5 years at the most) My real father died when I was 18. Never knew where he was, found him, sent him a graduation invitation and my aunt called me to tell me he died the week before. Dang...talking to my old SM made me feel like a worthless piece. Any who.. Sorry... I know too much info. So here's is the new question....do you guys and gals think I would be able to offer the scouts anything?(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

Jason,

Here are my thoughts and observations:

1) As a 20 year-old, with no experience in Scouting (except Cub Scouting for a couple of years), I volunteered to be a Webelos leader. The local pack welcomed me with open arms.

2) If youre concerned that your intentions will be misconstrued, be upfront about it. Tell them Look, if I was in your shoes, Id be questioning why a 27 year-old without any sons is interested in doing this. Then explain exactly why you are interested.

3) Emphasize that you will always follow two-deep leadership (which should be expected). This too should help you gain the trust of the troop.

4) If you volunteer to be a SM, be sure you have the energy and drive to see it throughat least for a couple of years. If you cant complete a two year commitment, you wouldnt be doing them any favors.

5) Before accepting a position as SM, be sure the committee members understand how you intend to approach the troop. This will help ensure that you have their blessings and avoid conflicts over style.

6) I would not enter the Girl Scout program. As a born again Christian, I think you will find their philosophy concerning a variety of matters to be contrary to yours. As a general rule, many Girl Scout troops preach a worldview that is very much in sync with the times.

7) If one troop does not want you, then try another down the street.

If you say youre saved, then I believe you. But let me tell you - if you think youre worthless, or if you feel compelled to ask us, do you guys and gals think I would be able to offer the scouts anything then you need to find some strong believers and have a talk. Theres no way God is going to let you believe that not for very long. In fact, he may well be asking you to join Scouts to help some boys that have the same kind of background as yours. If youre pulling yourself together, who better to sympathize and offer advice to a boy who feels left behind or unloved?

As for college, its never too late. I spent many years in night school. Even without college, if youre willing to work hard and be open with your managers theres usually many opportunities for upward movement (and the pay that goes with it).

Six months ago I was thrown into a new position which has me dealing with a lot of project managers and upper level management. I wasnt sure I was right for the job. But I told myself the H*ll with this and started asking a lot of questions probably dumb questions to some. Today, Im getting a lot of kudos at work. Im recognized as someone who understands the process and knows how to deal with the customer. Not because I have a college degree, or because Im naturally brilliant But because I was willing to ask dumb questions and not care what others might say about me.

Its your life. You can sit back and let people define you OR, you can trust God and define yourself. His opinion is truly the only one that matters. Of course, having said this, if things don't work out the way you thought they would...continue to trust the Lord and accept what comes your way with grace and humility.

In Him.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)