Eagle Project-- opinions wanted

Eagle Project- Baseball Field

Build shelves in the sheds to organize equipment and maintenance items.

Pull weeds from warning track and infield dirt

Paint dugouts

Possibly erect a flag pole in center field

Possibly paint chain-link fence

Build a helmet rack for each dugout

Build additional pitching mounds in bullpens

Painting the bases and home plate

Filling in low spots on the infield and the warning track

Placing dirt around fence to block balls from going under

Possibly obtaining and planting large, fern trees in center field as a hitters backdrop

Currently, this is the first time that I have written anything down about this idea. Everything before now was just in my head. Please, tell me what you think:)

What do the people who own the field want done?

The test of the Eagle project is not what gets accomplished, but what leadership did you provide to plan and carry out a project. Since the criteria of the project is that it benefits others, it becomes important for you to learn as part of the planning "what do they want" rather than "what I want to do".

Good luck as you continue toward Eagle.

BW

I like most of your outline, but some questions to consider:

Is it a private field or municipal? If municipal how much can they chip in (heavy equipment, dirt, paint, wood, etc.) since much of the maintenance should have already been done by the city. You'll have to plan/schedule around their availibility as well as your troop's. Will they maintain the after effects of your labor?

If private, you'll have to more leg work to get the stuff donated. If private, is that ok for an Eagle project?

I agree w/ Ky, I like projects that stick around for a while. Mine is still in use over 30 years later. We created a public park in a vacant town lot.

(This message has been edited by Eagle1973)

That sounds like a great project. Make sure you include some type of a plaque or sign to let the public know who, when and why. I did not leave such an item (for my Eagle project) because it felt like bragging at the time. I have since seen several examples of markers that have been left to draw attention to completed Eagle Service Projects. If done tastefully, will highlight the impact of scouting in the community and will impress countless people.

CE

Hops -

You have a great basis for an Eagle Project. I'm not an advancement chairman, so I haven't read the rules in a long time. Here are a few thoughts on what I think makes a good project:

- Something needed/wanted by the recipient. Bob's correct, don't do it if it isn't something they're interested in.

- It should benefit the community in some way. This can be a subset of the community (your school, charter org, etc.). I don't like to see projects that have a very small group of beneficiaries.

- It should have some permanency (building or repairing something). I'm not a fan of blood drives and other "service-only" projects.

- It should require you to organize, recruit and lead others. I don't like projects where Johnny goes out with his friend Bill and the two of them complete the work.

- It should require some budgeting. Whether the funds come from the beneficiary, private donors or your own pocket, you need to put together a budget and manage to it.

It sounds like your project meets this criteria. I'd encourage you to do the flag pole and put a plaque at the base of it. Something like "Softball field reneovation - BSA Troop 123 Eagle project 2004." The community and the organization will have a constant reminder of what the Boy Scouts have done for them.

Best of luck!

I have to wonder if you're being taken advantage of by doing this project. On the surface it's a nice payback to the community, but, is there an organization responsible for doing this work around the ball field complex? If you take on this effort, what other enhancement will the responsible organization do to satisfy their obligation to maintain the complex? Shouldn't they be doing there own fundraising and upgrades/maintenance to the facility? Are you setting a precedent, for ball field work to be done by other volunteer organizations in the future?

Most of the work you listed is whats commonly done by parents and coaches on "field day" at our baseball complex.

I would be happier to see you try and motivate your baseball team to do this work, instead of having your fellow Scouts get involved with it.

hops,

An Eagle from my Troop did a similar project for a municipal field. 1st he found out what they wanted done then wrote up the project & got it approved.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Like I said before, this hasnt been discussed with anybody before this thread. Let me clear up a few things I guess:)

--Field is owned by the local high school, but is used by the American Legion team, the Khoury (sp?) League, and a few more at times.

--I'm already partially in charge of maintenance in that my dad is one of the coaches and I've always helped with it. That is the reason I have the interest in it.

--Money probably wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of because our Athletic Booster Club is very supportive and much of the stuff I think I would be able to get donated through a variety of sources.

--Havent talked to anybody about it, but I spend a great ammount of time out there. If anybody is going to know what needs to be done, I'd be one of them.

Few things you dont know about me is that I love doing lanscaping work though I see it as a hobby and not a job or something I would really want to do as a job. I spend a great ammount of time on the field doing various tasks to improve the field.

Thanks so far and keep the ideas/opinions coming!:)

First, I'm sure this is a minority opinion but ... Too many Eagle projects are "build something" projects. As BW said, an Eagle project should demonstrate leadership skills. I've seen too many who believe an Eagle project exists to highlight their landscaping, carpentry, or masonry skills. Yes, one can manage and lead a team that whose individuals posses those skills but the key is that the project should highlight leadership skills. For example, I would be more impressed if a Scout organized and created an endowment for an inner city baseball league for 6 - 10 year olds. No, nothing would have to be "built" necessarily but it would take much organizational, people, fund raising and leadership skills to pull off. Good luck!

Hops:

It's time to get off center and go to your Scoutmaster and district advancement chairman with your idea. It sounds good to me. Don't overthing or look too hard for support that isn't needed.

Like a football game, you can't do a darn thing without moving forward.

best of luck, young man!

Unc.

Hops this might be a little ambituous - maybe better to focus on a few pieces of this and really do them well? You might get some direction from your resource availability when you get into it.

Good luck!

Hi,

There is a fine line between doing too much and doing too little. I have helped several Eagle canidates and would be happy to offer some advise to you as well. First, doing things at school is a good place to start. You have read some people's opinions as to having too many "building project" type of Eagle Leadership Service Projects. In my district, that's what we encourage so that you have something to refer back to after you graduate from the program. Ask your scoutmaster what your district thinks. If he doesn't know, as him to ask at the next Roundtable.

Second, present a project that is large enough for your troop to all participate in. In my district we have some very small troops (about 10 boys) and some troops that we consider large (more than 50 boys). Remember the word Leadership comes before the word Service in the title of the requirement. Show leadership, don't do things that don't let you do that.

Third, have fun. If you aren't having fun (I'm sure you'ev had hikes that were fun when they ended, rather than while they were going on) you are doing something wrong in the BSA. Don't worry about how you are going to balance all of these things. They will take care of themselves if we just let them.

Good luck in finishing a real task. Good luck in making Eagle. It is something you will reflect on for the rest of your life. You will be successful as you try to do it!