SCOUTBOOK to be free as of 1 Jan 19

22 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I could be wrong about this, but the word in my council is that we are going to be required to use Scoutbook. It is supposed to become the official record for all scouts. 

HORSEHOCKEY!

The official record for all Scouts is their handbook. I've seen too many problems with electronic records over the years. And every time they fixed them they used the handbook.

But yes, Scoutbook is replacing IA.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

HORSEHOCKEY!

The official record for all Scouts is their handbook. I've seen too many problems with electronic records over the years. And every time they fixed them they used the handbook.

The handbook is documentation. The official record (a scout's National office record) is going to be their Scoutbook record. Or so I'm told. 

5 minutes ago, FireStone said:

The handbook is documentation. The official record (a scout's National office record) is going to be their Scoutbook record. Or so I'm told. 

With all due respect, I again call HORSEHOCKEY. Every single time I have seen councils' electronic records messed up, or even missing information, I have had to use the Handbook to correct the councils' records. And multiple council registrars have told me the handbook is the official record since it has all of the signatures.Council records are just that,records.

22 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

With all due respect, I again call HORSEHOCKEY. Every single time I have seen councils' electronic records messed up, or even missing information, I have had to use the Handbook to correct the councils' records. And multiple council registrars have told me the handbook is the official record since it has all of the signatures.Council records are just that,records.

Correcting the records with documented evidence doesn't mean the evidence is the record. Like it or not, if National says Scoutbook is the official record, that's what it is. 

22 hours ago, FireStone said:

Correcting the records with documented evidence doesn't mean the evidence is the record. Like it or not, if National says Scoutbook is the official record, that's what it is. 

You do realize that SCOUTNET records are local. That is why when a member or volunteer moves from council to council, they must provide a copy of their records so that the council's database can be updated.

I wish it was not the case. Heck I was told by the then national SCOUTNET directors that records would be transferable in the database. Would have helped the 5 councils I've been in since SCOUTNET came into existence.

4 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

You do realize that SCOUTNET records are local. That is why when a member or volunteer moves from council to council, they must provide a copy of their records so that the council's database can be updated.

I wish it was not the case. Heck I was told by the then national SCOUTNET directors that records would be transferable in the database. Would have helped the 5 councils I've been in since SCOUTNET came into existence.

Scout net is not local. The tables maybe localized, which has nothing to do with were it is  physically located. But Scout net is certainly not local, unless you happen to live near the BSA server farm, which I think is in the Dallas area. (A pity they haven’t figured out the cloud yet)

Not too long ago, external apps could hit Scoutnets API, but that practice was ended or severely restricted. If there were 300+ Scoutnets out there it would be nearly impossible to sync with external apps, including Scoutbook.

While the SCOUTNET server may be in Dallas, or even in muliple locations across the nation or cloud based, the information a council has access to is local. So a council in  MA cannot access a Scout or Scouter's information in a council in WA.  Hence SCOUTNET is local.