No Life Jackets for Sea Base Sailing?

We've noticed in videos of crews sailing on Sea Base adventures that they crew members are not wearing life jackets.  A member of our crew is in Sea Scouts and says they always have to wear them.

Does anyone know why the crew does not have to wear them?

'cause it ain't a kayak. :cool:

Just so everyone is clear, the boats are rife with flotation devices, including life jackets. It's just that they don't need to be worn in calm seas.

FWIW, I have seen images of Sea Scouts on large vessels without their life jackets on. Your crew member's experience may be somewhat parochial.

Edited by qwazse

I know little about Sea Scouts and nothing of their rules.

My limited experience on boats was that we had to have life jackets, but they were not required to be worn. Boy Scouts, of course, adds their own rules on top of everything.

I FINALLY found my answer.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss02/

Life Jackets
Properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard–approved life jackets must be worn by all persons engaged in boating activity (rowing, canoeing, sailing, boardsailing, motorboating, waterskiing, rafting, tubing, and kayaking). Type III life jackets are recommended for general recreational use.

For vessels over 20 feet in length, life jackets need not be worn when participants are below deck or on deck when the qualified supervisor aboard the vessel determines that it is prudent to abide by less-restrictive state and federal regulations concerning the use and storage of life jackets, for example, when a cruising vessel with safety rails is at anchor. All participants not classified as swimmers must wear a life jacket when on deck underway.

Life jackets need not be worn when an activity falls under Safe Swim Defense guidelines—for example, when an inflated raft is used in a pool or when snorkeling from an anchored craft.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, qwazse said:

'cause it ain't a kayak. :cool:

Just so everyone is clear, the boats are rife with flotation devices, including life jackets. It's just that they don't need to be worn in calm seas.

FWIW, I have seen images of Sea Scouts on large vessels without their life jackets on. Your crew member's experience may be somewhat parochial.

I was involved in a tragic boating accident when I was a young adult.  I learned my lesson the hard way, and now view PFDs like I view seat belts, when you need one it better already be on you or it's probably useless.  So I wear a pfd whenever I'm on a boat, and if you're on my boat, or on a boat which I'm captaining, you wear a pfd if we're under way.  I invested in expensive, comfortable jackets so comfort isn't an issue.  

• Thanks 1

At Seabase on the 41' sailboat we did not wear vests.  In all sailing that I have done with Sea Scouts which is limited and been on smaller boats, we have worn them exclusively.

I own my own life vest that fits me well and is comfortable.  that is key.