We often hear that the minimum number of adults to have a troop is four. The SM, CC, and two MCs.

Thinking about advancement made me realize that this could put you into a situation where Scouts might not be able to advance.

If there are exactly three members of the committee, what happens when the son of one of the committee members needs a BOR?

Maybe this is a good example of why the troop committee should be recruited from outside the parents of the Scouts.

I second your suggestion that troop committee members be recruited from outside the parents of the Scouts. That's not the case in my son's troop, but I've heard of a couple troops where you're not recruited for the committee until your son has aged out. How about the rest of you out there?

I've seen a lot of troops which have too many ASMs and not enough MCs. THey need to reverse the ratio, since many of the ASMs are serving committee functions anyway...or not serving any function at all. It's all in the nomenclature.

Sctldr:

Hear! Hear! The only difference noticible to the registrant is that MC's don't get program helps in their Scouting magazine -- which they don't need if they're serving a committee-type job or don't help plan the regular troop meetings.

Unc.

I believe that you can have non registered adults participate on boards of review. These people are considered to be "representatives of the community". Organizing the boards is still a committee function.

"I believe that you can have non registered adults participate on boards of review. These people are considered to be representatives of the community"

That was the case long time ago, now the Advancement P&P book specifically states that boards for Tenderfoot through Life are made up of members of the Troop Committee. For Eagle, you may have people on the Board who are not registered.