Lower Rank Age Cutoffs to Reach Eagle by 18...

I have a scout who just turned 16 in April and wants to be sure he meets rank requirements before he is too old to meet the time in rank for Star, Life, and Eagle.  

If my calculations are correct, he has to obtain first class by the age of 16 years 8 months to still be eligible for Eagle.  Does that sound right?

For example, gets First class at 16 years 8 mos., Star at 17 years, Life at 17 years 6 mos., and Eagle at 18 years.  We are trying to get him through quicker but I just wanted to clarify my math and understanding of the requirements.

Thanks in advance....

robhixkg, welcome to the forum!

Your math is correct, except that some might say the Eagle requirements have to be completed by the day before the 18th birthday, so subtract one day from all the deadlines.  But ignoring that for sake of simplicity, the Scout should keep this in mind:  If, hypothetically, he were to have his First Class Board of Review when he is exactly 16 years 8 months old, then there is one day on which he can have his Star BOR:  His 17th birthday, not the day before and not the day after.  Same thing for life when he is exactly 17.5.  It's a big mistake to cut things that close.

• Upvote 1

I've seen it done. It required scouters to devote their time on whatever day it was that was needed, regardless of holidays/weekends/etc.  It is a huge undertaking and if adults aren't on board or the scout doesn't follow through, it's blown. Still possible, but dangerous. 

Make sure the scout has the support they need all the way through. Communicate often and early. Scouters tend to bend over backwards to help when they see a scout doing their best, but it only takes one to upset that apple cart and destroy everything. Best to have as much wiggle room as possible. 

• Upvote 1

The GTA requirement is the all requirements and Eagle SM conference must be completed not later than the day before the Scout turns 18. 

9.0.1.1 Complete All the Requirements

Confirm that the following requirements have been completed before the 18th birthday: active participation, Scout spirit, merit badges, position of responsibility, service project, and unit leader conference. Note that the unit leader (Scoutmaster) conference need not be the last item accomplished.