North Face to develop GS outdoor adventure program

5 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'm calling BS @bearess, I saw all kinds of girls coming into venturing, and GS background did not make a difference in who was deferential to men or boys and who was not. But after a few months, they all were able to speak their mind top others. That was actually one of my favorite things about venturers: young women who, while passing on a trail, would look you in the eye and say a bright "good morning."

The girls who didn't like the thought of backpacking through bear country, didn't go. They were still a welcome part of our crew! It was that simple. Same things for boys.

Maybe you’re right, who knows!  I feel my time in Girl Scouts gave me confidence and a unique, all-girl experience.  I’m glad I had that.  I wish more units did outdoor stuff in GSUSA, and I hope programs like this will help that happen.

I agree that kids learn from watching adults struggle and grow, and I think there’s a lot of value in that.  I don’t think you have to be an expert canoer or hiker or camper to go with your son in a scouting trip.  However, when you’ve been in a canoe once in the past seven years (an hour on a small lake) and spent one night in a tent in that time— I question if you’re the right fit for a two week canoe camping trip.  It’s not my problem— I’ll let the SM know and he can do what he wishes with the info!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My GS/CS daughter won one the national competitions associated with this collaboration last week. She will get a prize package from The North Face worth up to $500.   https://www.girlscouts.

Heh, SOMEONE has to try and live up to Mike Rowe's safe space challenge.  

OH. HECK. NO! He needs to get his butt out and practice, practice, practice. He will be a hindrance, and can cause major problems if he cannot pull his own weight. Been there. Done that. got hypo