2 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I just went to alpine about a month ago. I’m sorry but the Camp is not kept in the best shape. The buildings are beautiful and look new, but the trails since you have to hike in to campsites are not well kept in my opinion. My troop will not be going back there.

have camped at alpine approximately 6 times so far,

really not sure what the complaint is,  have had no problem with the trails, to/from campsites, 

only trails that are questionable are those that connect cabins to camp sites, as don't think those are designed trails, just used out of convenience,

haven't been to other BSA camps so cant compare to those, but are equivilant to most other large camps I have been to,

only complaint would be old wooden platforms require some leveling, 

3 minutes ago, Terasec said:

alpine on the NY/NJ border is indeed in NJ, but owned by greater NY council, 

Alpine is the NYC councils cub scout camp, Ten Mile River is their Boy scout camp

Oh.  You're right.  See, this is what happens when you only look at what shows up on a Google search results page and don't look at the actual page.

I did go to Ten Mile River for summer camp one year when I was a Scout, actually it was one week of regular summer camp and one week of TLD (the 1970's predecessor of NYLT.)

Just now, Terasec said:

have camped at alpine approximately 6 times so far,

really not sure what the complaint is,  have had no problem with the trails, to/from campsites, 

only trails that are questionable are those that connect cabins to camp sites, as don't think those are designed trails, just used out of convenience,

haven't been to other BSA camps so cant compare to those, but are equivilant to most other large camps I have been to,

only complaint would be old wooden platforms require some leveling, 

What really ruined our experience was that the whole camping trip was suppose to be about geocaching. Online it sounded like it was a great trail with little caches along it and that it actually still existed.

We spent hours trying to find a single one on the trail and failed. The campsite we slept in, I forget the name, it had ground level little shelters. Some of them weren’t even cleaned out, and the campsite was not left tidy.

Just now, ItsBrian said:

What really ruined our experience was that the whole camping trip was suppose to be about geocaching. Online it sounded like it was a great trail with little caches along it and that it actually still existed.

We spent hours trying to find a single one on the trail and failed. The campsite we slept in, I forget the name, it had ground level little shelters. Some of them weren’t even cleaned out, and the campsite was not left tidy.

by little shelters, referring to those mini leantos?

have seen those leantos, I would agree that area has been neglected,  sites closer to cabins/main area are generally much nicer, 

as for trash, summer camp time would agree bit of trash left behind, with little time between summer camp sessions I don't blame the camp, I blame the scouts and their leaders, 

we always do a LNT walk about before/during and after our camping, 

in fall/winter/spring camping we find less trash, most of it usually quite old 

also after every camp session, camp supervisor inspects our site for condition and trash, he is usually quite thorough, pointing out the smallest piece of debri, I hope others that fail such inspection get penalized for it

56 minutes ago, Terasec said:

by little shelters, referring to those mini leantos?

have seen those leantos, I would agree that area has been neglected,  sites closer to cabins/main area are generally much nicer, 

as for trash, summer camp time would agree bit of trash left behind, with little time between summer camp sessions I don't blame the camp, I blame the scouts and their leaders, 

we always do a LNT walk about before/during and after our camping, 

in fall/winter/spring camping we find less trash, most of it usually quite old 

also after every camp session, camp supervisor inspects our site for condition and trash, he is usually quite thorough, pointing out the smallest piece of debri, I hope others that fail such inspection get penalized for it

Yeah those mini leantos, didn’t know what else to call them. That was a long walk too, we were not told we had to walk in so we didn’t pack light.