Las Vegas Area Council Donation

I've been gathering leather tools for use in Scout and youth groups over the last few years.  I just got access to the leather tools that our council has for the Cub Scout Day Camps and for use by Leatherworking Merit Badge Counselors for classes.  They have 4 bins of tools.  Each is supposed to have enough for 20 scouts.   The idea being that the bins could be checked out for district events and merit badge events.  When I helped out with the merit badge at our "Mega Expo"  the bin contained 20 mallets, 3 of which were broken, 26 stamping boards, a rack containing 12 handle stamps, and about 15 3d stamps.  There were 6 alphabet sets, but only 1 was complete.   

I went to the Scout office and got access to all the tools and found that over the years, multiple sets were checked out for a single event and when put away no effort was made to make sure the alphabet sets were organized back into complete sets.  In fact, the sizes were even mixed up with 3d stamps thrown in for good measure.  Fast forward a couple years and you get the situation I was just in.  I sat there most of the day and sorted and organized the tools.  Now in total there should be enough tools for 80 scouts to work with.  As it turned out, there are only 68 mallets, 26 I need to repair, less than 50 3d stamps and less that 2 racks of misc handle stamps.  And a bunch of those are damaged and will be thrown away.  

So I went to my stash of leather tools and put together the following:

Using 34 of the 3d stamps they already had, I added 206 additional stamps to make up 4 sets of 60 3d stamps for each bin.  Each set has the same stamps to make re-sorting easier in the future.  I also put together 4 sets of 27 handle stamps, each set the same,  for the bins also.   I had 30 handles for the 3d stamps that I included along with some extra racks and misc letters and numbers to complete their sets.

I still need to find additional mallets along with purchasing 6 each of 3/8" and 1/4" alphabet/number sets and they should be set.

Here is the pile of tools I sorted through:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, I am trying to upload photos and had a problem.

There are still additional items that need to be purchased.  But our council does not want to spend the money or they don't have the money, or didn't budget for it.  Whatever.

I can only do my part.

I could get the rest of what I need for around $750.00.  That would include 2 extras of each alphabet/number set to replace missing letters and numbers that occasionally happen.

I'll try to get some photos of the completed bins when I finish them.

Let me know what you think.

Dale

Here is the pile of tools I sorted through:

20180521_115715.thumb.jpg.52cd65317f880c075a6f3a58fba88bd1.jpg

Here is 1 set of the 3D stamps that each bin will have.20180523_172029.thumb.jpg.e46e710f5e225e72a9ed326c5ee6184d.jpg

The following photos are the rest of the donation I am making tomorrow:

20180523_165115.thumb.jpg.e7a4a0365309c935accd30f89f6dabc7.jpg

20180523_171847.thumb.jpg.b419de65b74020e150693e8aea76ad0e.jpg

20180523_165009.thumb.jpg.870ef518fa3d831bcfd6b60a03cf06cc.jpg20180523_172246.thumb.jpg.9d75378606756446964e09d7c46fb70a.jpg

• Like 4

By gad, sir, you are a wonder.

Every so often, somebody sees a problem and actually solves it.  My Scout Hat off to you . Many Scout Leaders will be grateful, but they may not even know for what.  But you will know. 

Some years ago, I was an active Archery Range Safety Officer for CSDC.  We held camp in the same locale many years, and others did too.   I taught my Scout Assistants to "Walk The Range", in both directions, to retrieve arrows and check conditions. I mention this to set the stage for my story.

One year, as we set things up, I opened up the supplies that Council had provided. We anticipated 25 or so Cubs each rotation, set up 12 targets. Officially, the list showed we had 60 arrows, 30 bows of various sizes, and some replacement strings and "stuff".  We went thru the arrows:  15 were defective, bad fledging, no point, loose nocks, splintered shafts.  We actually counted  48 "good" arrows, actual. The bows we fixed. Targets were set up.  Council said they would "try" to get us some more arrows, which they did. Some...   We opened camp with (counted twice) 52 good arrows.  Broke some, repaired some, but the end of the story is, by closely "Walking the Range", we closed camp and returned to Council 78 arrows!   We had found and pulled out of the grass, more than 20 usable arrows , that no one in the previous years had found ! And we returned all the defects, some of which, I was told , were repaired for the Council Scout camp .  

"The Work Is Done By Whoever Shows Up."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Saltface said:

How many more mallets do you need? Are they expensive?

After repairing what I could it looks like I need 16 wooden mallets.  They run about 4.50 each  at Tandy. 

I put together a spreadsheet of what we have, what we need as a bare minimum and what I would like to have.  It's amazing how much it adds up to.  I eventually want to add additional bins and advertise to the packs that there are leather tools that can be loaned to them.  Then I will go out there every week or two and make sure everything is in order for the next pack to borrow it. 

I am hoping to do a Go Fund Me campaign or a Kickstarter Campaign.  Our council is checking if I can actually use the  the BSA name in the campaign.  I think they need to control use of the name and funds.  They don't make it easy.  I will probably just do it and not mention the name but elude to it.  Then I can spend it without having to go through the whole approval process. 

I am working with Tandy about donating wridtbands or another small project in order to keep the cost of the whole program down.  But it might fall through if I don't get approval from BSA to hang a small banner during the class and mention that Tandy donated X. Maybe even pass out a 10% off coupon from Tandy.  We'll see what happens.

9 hours ago, SSScout said:

By gad, sir, you are a wonder.

Every so often, somebody sees a problem and actually solves it.  My Scout Hat off to you . Many Scout Leaders will be grateful, but they may not even know for what.  But you will know. 

Some years ago, I was an active Archery Range Safety Officer for CSDC.  We held camp in the same locale many years, and others did too.   I taught my Scout Assistants to "Walk The Range", in both directions, to retrieve arrows and check conditions. I mention this to set the stage for my story.

One year, as we set things up, I opened up the supplies that Council had provided. We anticipated 25 or so Cubs each rotation, set up 12 targets. Officially, the list showed we had 60 arrows, 30 bows of various sizes, and some replacement strings and "stuff".  We went thru the arrows:  15 were defective, bad fledging, no point, loose nocks, splintered shafts.  We actually counted  48 "good" arrows, actual. The bows we fixed. Targets were set up.  Council said they would "try" to get us some more arrows, which they did. Some...   We opened camp with (counted twice) 52 good arrows.  Broke some, repaired some, but the end of the story is, by closely "Walking the Range", we closed camp and returned to Council 78 arrows!   We had found and pulled out of the grass, more than 20 usable arrows , that no one in the previous years had found ! And we returned all the defects, some of which, I was told , were repaired for the Council Scout camp .  

"The Work Is Done By Whoever Shows Up."

I totally agree and nice job. 

It does take someone that has a real interest in a particular activity to make things really interesting for the scouts.  Someone willing to take care of tools and supplies to make sure the next time they are used.  Yours is archery and mine is leatherwork.  I talked to the person in charge of our local camp and volunteered to come out every morning and either teach or help out with the leatherworking merit badge.  He said it was ok and asked if I wanted to do other merit badges.  My reply was "No".  Not because I can't do basket weaving, I have no interest.  I don't want to do merit badges I have no interest in.  My heart wouldn't be in it.  Some people can do that no problem.  I'm just not one of them.  To be honest, I'm not even that good at leatherwork yet.  But I have a strong desire to learn.   Eventually I would like to do Entrepreneurship, Gardening, Sustainability, Woodworking and Pioneering merit badges.  Along with cast iron/dutch oven cooking classes.   But I'm not ready yet.

Since I'm not going to be at each event I want to make sure it is as easy as possible for those that borrow the tools to make sure they are back in order when they turn them in.  Sometime this summer I'm going to color code each bin's boxes and it's contents so it will be easy to find out what is missing.  That includes all tools.  For example, there are two 1/2"  alphabet sets in each bin.  One will be red and the other green.  So when the kids put them away, as long as they put them in the right color box, and there are no empty spaces, we know that it is a complete set.  That way we don't end up with two w's in one box and none in the other.  I'm even going to try to make it so none of the colors will be repeated, even in other bins.  So once red is used it will not be used in another bin.  That shouldn't be too hard.  I think there are enough shades in all the colors that I won't need to repeat any.  It may seem excessive to go to that length in organizing the tools but I think it will be worth it in the long run.  

I also plan on putting together a binder that has an inventory of all the tools and how to use them.  In addition to a video that will demonstrate how to conduct the class from start to finish.  Including about a half dozen or so projects that they could complete.

But as much as I enjoy doing this, I don't know how long I will be available.  Hopefully, if I make it easy enough, someone else would take it over because it is so organized and complete.

I can dream.

Or our council will think I'm another anal retentive a-hole, get tired of me and kick me out.  

Dale

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

No, No, No . . .    What you are speaking of and doing is called a "Legacy".   Whether those that come after you will appreciate it or not depends on THEM and YOU.  When you teach the Cubs (and their parents !)  pride of craft and respect for tools,  it has to trickle down some. No guarantee, but some.  

I learned both (Pride of Craft and Respect for Tools) ,no doubt, from my dad.  My son has picked it up, and is now , at 24, the manager for a multi county farm operation.  When I was in high school, I organized and set up the Stage Crew , it's storage bins and racks.  Years After I graduated, the theater was rebuilt to professional standards and named after my Drama teacher, and the first PAID stage manager was...  my buddy and assistant Stage Crew Chief !  He still said he used my system for organizing stuff , said "it works", but now had multiple thousands of dollars of stuff to utilize.  When many folks use the same tools, it pays for all to agree that all need to keep it in good shape.  Respect the tool, respect the other fellow who has to use it. 

What you speak of is very much like a Wood Badge Ticket.  NOW, you only need four more, and a week's camping with some other WB buddies, and you're in ! 

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

Proud of you, but make sure you get a receipt for the goods in kind donation.  I don't know if you qualify to itemize, but if you do...

I don't qualify to itemize but I get the receipt anyways because I know people that do.  

7 hours ago, SSScout said:

No, No, No . . .    What you are speaking of and doing is called a "Legacy".   Whether those that come after you will appreciate it or not depends on THEM and YOU.  When you teach the Cubs (and their parents !)  pride of craft and respect for tools,  it has to trickle down some. No guarantee, but some.  

I learned both (Pride of Craft and Respect for Tools) ,no doubt, from my dad.  My son has picked it up, and is now , at 24, the manager for a multi county farm operation.  When I was in high school, I organized and set up the Stage Crew , it's storage bins and racks.  Years After I graduated, the theater was rebuilt to professional standards and named after my Drama teacher, and the first PAID stage manager was...  my buddy and assistant Stage Crew Chief !  He still said he used my system for organizing stuff , said "it works", but now had multiple thousands of dollars of stuff to utilize.  When many folks use the same tools, it pays for all to agree that all need to keep it in good shape.  Respect the tool, respect the other fellow who has to use it. 

What you speak of is very much like a Wood Badge Ticket.  NOW, you only need four more, and a week's camping with some other WB buddies, and you're in ! 

I've gone through Wood Badge and served on staff a couple times.  I'm a Fox.  Which also happens to be my patrol animal. 

But your right about "trickle down" respect and pride.  I took all the stuff in today and is being used tomorrow at a day camp.  I'm working the next 4 day camps so I know the tools will be taken care of.  I'll miss the next one but by then I'll have a manual together and a sign in/out procedure that will make a single person responsible for the tools. So if anything is missing that district would have to pay for it.  We'll see what happens.

Dale

Speaking as a fellow LVAC Scouter.... Thank you. Leatherworking is so cool, but most Scouts' exposure to it is limited to a few hours at camp, at best. Hopefully, your work will help the council be organised enough to offer the experience to more scouts.

Edited by LVAllen
On 5/27/2018 at 6:18 PM, LVAllen said:

Speaking as a fellow LVAC Scouter.... Thank you. Leatherworking is so cool, but most Scouts' exposure to it is limited to a few hours at camp, at best. Hopefully, your work will help the council be organised enough to offer the experience to more scouts.

We'll see how it turns out

I just found out that there are actually 3 separate sets of leather stamps.

4 bins of tools that can be checked out for Day Camps and Merit Badges.  This is what I'm working on now.

1 large set of leather tools that they keep at the summer camp.  I'm going to check out these this week.

Scout Reach also has some leather tools that I need to check out.  I will try to look at those this week or next.

All have to be kept separate from each other.  

Looks like I have quite a task ahead of me.