Screwdriver

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point exactly.

Assuming the patrol box includes:

>>a fixed-blade kitchen knife and a can opener, AND

>>a scout's latrine kit includes a fingernail clipper (great for cutting fishing line too)...

... a Scout really doesn't need anything but a simple moderate-sized folding knife - though I can appreciate the benefit of a locking-blade knife.

Ah...we have forgotten what it is like to be a boy. Sheath knives are cool. We allow them on non-district, non-council events (council and district usually ask that sheath knives not be used on events they run but allow them according to BSA policy otherwise). They are seldom used since pocket knives usually have more utility around camp but it doesn't matter. They're cool. Doesn't matter if they never get used. They're just cool. If you don't understend that then you don't understand boys. They were cool when I was 12 and in my experience that hasn't changed. Teach the boys how to use knives (and axes and bow saws). Don't let them wear them when playing capture the flag if you are concerned about the knife stabbing a boy through the scabbard (I have never witnessed or even heard of a bona fide account of that, by the way, in my admittedly limited 42 years association with Scouting). Let's not be too PC and wimpy. We have enough of that already.

Welcome 2Eagle.

Hmmm. So sheath knives are cool and that's why scouts have them? How juvenile.

Would this phenomenon be similar to ... say one who drove a hugh 4WD SUV that, while it does meet certain needs on rare occaisions,

primarily functions to make the owner/driver look/feel cool, even though it is well documented they are more dangerous to drive, cause more serious injuries in accidents besides being hugh consumers of fuel?

Perhaps we should suggest a prohibition on SUVs and large pickups in the G2SS and mandate all scouters drive very practical mid-sized mini-vans with side air bags and throttle limits to prevent travel in excess of 55 mph. :)

SA

Safety is the prime first consideration. The only safe way to carry a shotgun accross a fence is break it open. Knives and axes should be in sheaths when not it use.Knive in a sheath is safe.

A pocket knive can cut flesh as well a steak.

Knives should be treated as if they can cut if not handled properly.

Definitely knives, axes etc are not play toys. A nerve ball is a play toy.

I feel like TwoCub.

Please read my last post as sarcasm. The point I was trying to make is that the idea of having cool impractical stuff that maybe a little dangerous is hardly limited to 12 year olds.

BTW, I drive an SUV as well, when I can get it away from my wife. I recognize though that it is more dangerous than a standard car and drive accordingly. Recognizing the hazard is more than half the battle. I would have no problem if a scout had a sheath knife and used it appropriately.

SA

Ok Scoutingagain...we're on the same page. I have the same problem wrenching the SUV away from the boss lady. Not sure I'm understanding Mr. Bob White though...are you admonishing me? I believe Fat Old Guy gets my drift. Not sure you do. Sorry.

" Not sure I'm understanding Mr. Bob White though...are you admonishing me? I believe Fat Old Guy gets my drift."

I don't believe that Bob White was ever a little boy, he is one of those who was 40 years old at birth.

Eagledad I am from Virginia. Thanks for the kind words. I may stay on this forum and contribute as a result of your words. As you can see I have very few posts and joined in because a friend thought I should contribute based on my experience. But I've got to tell you after I got sniped at by Bob White and Scoutingagain (though to be fair to Scouting again he made it clear in subsequent posts that he was"just kidd

Eagledad...my messages keep getting cut off. My first reaction to the sniping was to just bow out. I thought these forums were for sharing ideas not taking fire. This type of behaviour is unacceptable to me. These types of adults-in-the-Boy-Scout-program are not my type of Scouters. I've gotten along for this long without this kind of abuse, admonishment and vitriolic diatribe and I reckon I can survive a few years

Hi Eagle

Hmmm, not sure what to say. I've been on several scouting forums and this one is by far is the worst as far as living the scout law and oath. There a few here who use this forum to pump their egos and there are a few who just don't know how to contribute without coming off attacking. And there are few here who leave a gold nugget with each post they give us.

I hang out here for the same reason you just gave. A friend told me I could bring a lot of experience and balance based from successes and failures that crossed my path. I know this forum runs off a lot of scouters, and/or intimidates many from contributing. I personally would like to learn more of your experiences and suggestions. Stick around awhile and allow your contributions to represent the kind of person your are. And allow the others to show their colors as well. Maybe you're the new coat of paint this forum could use.

It should be the goal of this forum to help everyone say "I love this scouting stuff".

Barry