Wow all great input - I never thought it through this much.  Our concern was more for summer camp/winter camp and emergency situations when the scouts are all at different programs.  I think part of my concern came from Jambo when there was an issue with "Scouts" going into other tents which should not have been an issue and would not be an issue with just out troop

and I love the response from qwazse - First: patrol flags, tents should be organized around them. Assuming your scouts average two to a tent, that's a cluster of four tents per patrol. Let's also assume an "old goat's patrol". One cluster 100 yards to the east, the other 100 yards to the south, the other 100 yards to the west, the last, 100 yards to the north. SM/ASM's in the center.

... Our concern was more for summer camp/winter camp ..

and I love the response from qwazse - First: patrol flags, tents should be organized around them. Assuming your scouts average two to a tent, that's a cluster of four tents per patrol. Let's also assume an "old goat's patrol". One cluster 100 yards to the east, the other 100 yards to the south, the other 100 yards to the west, the last, 100 yards to the north. SM/ASM's in the center.

If you get a summer camp that lets you fan out that wide, let us know.

The best we managed was about 50 yards when the troop was one patrol, and the boys wanted an open air camp by lake's edge.

Regardless, the boys (and adults) had a good understanding to ask permission to enter any campsite besides their own.

Another method: at music festivals, our youth group used named clothes pins, and paper plates representing likely locations. Before your leave, move your pin from the "campsite" plate to the appropriate program area. Move it back upon your return.

If you get a summer camp that lets you fan out that wide, let us know.

The best we managed was about 50 yards when the troop was one patrol, and the boys wanted an open air camp by lake's edge.

Regardless, the boys (and adults) had a good understanding to ask permission to enter any campsite besides their own.

Another method: at music festivals, our youth group used named clothes pins, and paper plates representing likely locations. Before your leave, move your pin from the "campsite" plate to the appropriate program area. Move it back upon your return.

At summer camp, we would get two campsites, one for the adults and the other for the scouts. They are typically about separated about 50 yards.

Barry

The patrol flag is marking the PL tent.  That's as much as I want to know.  I should be able to see that from say couple hundred feet away....

The QM wants to mark the tents somehow?  Anyway he wants, works for me.