Sign in to follow this  
RememberSchiff

Persistence and Adaptability

“I’m definitely going to fight for everything." Because no one climbs from Cub Scout to Eagle Scout, a journey of about a dozen years in his case, by accident. It requires a remarkable commitment.  "When I was growing up, I thought I wouldn’t finish because it was just so long and you had to do so much. But my grandma and my auntie wanted me to finish, and I did it. It taught me so much, like how to make something out of nothing.â€

A.J.Rose 6-foot-1, 212-pound redshirt freshman running back for the Kentucky Wildcats

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-football-uk-wildcats-aj-rose-benny-snell-backfield

Very nice. And eloquently said. Thank you for posting.

Surprised by the whole, "I had to stay 2 nights alone in the woods for my final test for Eagle" thing, though.

Edited by Ankylus

Rose surveys his surroundings and adapts accordingly. That was one of his final tests to achieve Eagle Scout status: two days alone in the woods with only a water bottle, rope and knife. It took hours to snag his first meal.

“You had to be patient,†Rose said. “If you didn’t figure out how to catch a fish, you weren’t going to eat.â€

Yes, there may have been a misunderstanding by the reporter, though I know adults in some units teach more in-depth survival such as water collection, tracking, snare building.

As I have said before, I favor a solo Eagle trek over an Eagle project.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

... Yes, there may have been a misunderstanding by the reporter, though I know adults in some units teach more in-depth survival such as water collection, tracking, snare building.

As I have said before, I favor a solo Eagle trek over an Eagle project.

I suspect wilderness survival was one of his electives. Or, maybe he was just short on nights for Camping MB, and his counselor threw down a challenge. Maybe he decided to challenge himself. We adults can't add to the requirements, but if a boy says, "I want to do X before making rank," who's gonna stop him?