1000 Girl Scouts return to Summit for their 5 day 2017 Jamboree

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20170627/1000-plus-girl-scouts-descend-on-wv-for-jamboree

Through a partnership with the National Boy Scouts of America, the Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council are able to host this year’s Jamboree for Girl Scouts across the nation at a facility Brown refers to as, “the Disney of camp grounds.â€

For the five days 1100 Girl Scouts spend at the Summit, they will get to explore the Mountain State’s wilderness through activities like kayaking, paddle-boarding, hiking and zip-lining. They’ll also hear from educators, like scientists and researchers from NASA and the Environmental Protection Agency.

The trick, according to Kathy Storage, camp and travel manager for the Girl Scouts of Black Diamond, is to offer all the educational experiences “in a fun way!â€

More info at source link above.

P.S.

The girl and adult fee is $300 per person if a $30 non-refundable deposit is made by December 16; if you opt to make a deposit; the balance is due in three $90 installments on March 31, April 30, and May 31, 2017. After Dec. 16, the event fee will be $330 a person until the May 31st final event deadline.

The price includes admission, tents, cots, basic meals, activity equipment, program supplies, facilitator support and a patch.

Note: To register at this price, the troop/group must have at least have the following adult:girl ratios: 2 adults for every 16 Girl Scout Juniors (4th-5th graders) + 1 adult to each 1-8 additional Juniors; 2 adults for 20 Girl Scout Cadettes (6th-8th graders) + 1 adult for each additional 1-10 Cadettes; 2 adults for 24 Girl Scout Seniors (9th-10th graders) + 1 adult for each additional 1-12 Seniors; 2 adults for 24 Girl Scout Ambassadors (11th-12th graders) + 1 adult for each additional 1-12 Ambassadors.

Registration link below

http://forgirls.girlscouts.org/travel/jamboree-at-the-summit/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 3

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth reiterating.

One of the more active GS/USA troops in this community is run by a mom who attended the GS Jamboree in her youth. If you can spare the coin, it might be worth your while to invest in underwriting a girl, or her troop, for the next GS Jambo.

• Upvote 2
... After attending Summit, no doubt many of the girls will want more outdoor adventure in the future, and less arts/crafts.  Future Ventures?

I doubt it.

If only we had charged more to girl scouts who joined our day trips -- who said they were bored to tears with their troops -- but never signed up with our crew.

If all these contingents do is inspire their troops to up their game, I'll be happy.

• Upvote 1

I doubt it.

If only we had charged more to girl scouts who joined our day trips -- who said they were bored to tears with their troops -- but never signed up with our crew.

If all these contingents do is inspire their troops to up their game, I'll be happy.

Fair enough.