Ideas for honoring a scout aging out of the troop

Our troop has an Eagle Scout who turns 18 soon. He has been involved in everything possible since joining the troop. From being a Den Chief to Senior Patrol Leader and now Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. We are looking for a way to honor this young man to show him how much we appreciate him and how proud we are of his accomplishments. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

wickjr, how long ago was his Eagle Court of Honor? That is usually our "sendoff" for Scouts who have made Eagle. (Of course that assumes that the ECOH is going to be around the time of the Scout's 18th birthday, which for some strange reason is often the case in our troop.)

Do a troop roast. Of course it should be more of an opportunity for troop members to stand and say a few kind words. But a fun or funny story or two makes it more enjoyable. Connect the roast to the end of the troop COH.

Barry

He has been an Eagle for a couple years now, so his ECOH is long past. Unfortunately he turns 18 in February and our next COH is April, which I fear will be too late to send him off properly. There is really no doubt that he will stay on as an adult leader. The idea of paying for his ASM training is a good one. To be honest, I'd like to see him step away from scouting for a little bit and see what else is out there for him. Scouting has been his entire life outside of school.

Back when I turned 18, nothing special was done. But I also had an ECOH to plan, and they gave me a position patch. 5 years later, when I graduated from a local college and was moving out of town for my first professional job, they had a special roast for me going away.

Since his ECOH was a while ago, mabye doing a simple Scoutmaster/ASM Investiture ceremony at the April COH?  ideas here: http://scoutdocs.ca/Documents/SM_Investiture.php and  http://www.settummanque.com/coffeeweb/LO/newsm.htm or have your PLC come up with their own.

Be careful, as word choice and actions can have unintentional result that affects the emotions.  This should be about transition from youth to adult and not sendoff.  Sendoff gives the unintentional message of 'thanks for your service, now off you go'.  He can still be part of the Troop as an adult and the choice is really his, not yours even if it well intended.  There are other possibilities of growth within scouting like district and council for this young man.

Roast has a negative connotation no matter how you avoid it.  Why not a 'reminiscing' to share past stories or the young man's journey through scouting for younger scouts. You also educate younger scouts of all the possibilities of leadership in scouting along with parents.  It should be about honoring his services while at the same time opening doors to new roads within scouting (transition).

• Upvote 1

I understand your concerns, Deaf Scouter, but all of that has been considered. We won't scar the young man. He knows the troop will welcome his help as an adult with open arms. In no way are we pushing him away.

But to the topic...I guess we should just do something low key so it doesn't seem like we are saying goodbye. Maybe a reflection period and informing him we will be covering his adult training if he wants to stay. Thanks for the recommendations. Any others are welcome.

• Upvote 2

We recognize our high school graduating Scouts during the end of the school year Court of Honor (June) whether they are tuning 18 or not and whether they earned Eagle or not and present each with a Scout Law coin.  As the SM I say a few words/stories about each Scout with others also piling on.