Summit: Thomas S. Monson Leadership Excellence Complex

http://www.montgomery-herald.com/news/bechtel-summit-to-open-leadership-complex-to-give-youth-a/article_afd5a2f6-432e-11e6-9410-a7edce78e4b0.html

The Boy Scouts of America broke ground last month on a new leadership complex at the Summit Bechtel Reserve that will, according to new facility’s namesake, “provide solid foundation for our youth to build their lives after God, country and fellow man.â€

The Thomas S. Monson Leadership Excellence Complex will be a facility tailored toward training leaders and bears the name of the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who is in his 46th year of serving on the Boy Scouts of America’s national executive board.

The new complex will include a main lodge for teaching and to house more than 190 resident participants. There will also be room for another 190 residents in cabins elsewhere on the 14,000-acre Summit Reserve.

The new complex will allow the Summit to operate year-long for Scouts, other youth organizations and charter BSA partners.

Programming for the complex is currently being developed, but Wayne Perry said he expects the facility to accommodate a task force on obesity, a conference on gun safety and training for adults in youth protection in camp settings, he said...

Another corporate campus/resort? A "facility to accommodate a task force on obesity"? Would that be a gym?

Well as long as it has a coffee machine, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I guess training and compensating a hundred young men and women to travel around the country teaching leadership wherever they would be welcome to hang their hats for a couple of years is too expensive of a proposition.

I guess training and compensating a hundred young men and women to travel around the country teaching leadership wherever they would be welcome to hang their hats for a couple of years is too expensive of a proposition.

If what you are suggesting is that the BSA should be bringing the national-level training to "us", rather than expecting us to go to New Mexico or West Virginia, I agree. At least this one is located in the same half of the country as me, though I still don't think I will be going there.

And this relates to our "other"  ultimate leadership training called WOODBADGE how? 

And when was the last time a Scout Leader needed a 3 1/2 star hotel (!)  for accommodation when  training?

There will be "room" for over 380 participants?  That's a lot of tent platforms.   And nylon  ;)

That's  a lot of "resources" that could be used to sponsor some inner city kids to attend the White Water Rafting Summit camp .

Yeah, it's nice that the Philmont Training courses may be heading east, but it doesn't sound like it.   What sort of accommodations do the Philmont attendees have?  I've not heard from anyone who has attended. 

It is nice Irving is thinking of utilizing New Hope Center year round. 

Oh, maybe it is going to be the new Greenbriar Hotel.... 

The cynic in me wonders about whether there is a relationship between the naming of this building after the head of a particular organization, which is the CO of the largest number of BSA units in the country, and the fact that about a year ago, that same organization announced that it was reconsidering its relationship with the BSA and then announced that it had decided to stay. Just wondering.

Yeah, it's nice that the Philmont Training courses may be heading east, but it doesn't sound like it.   What sort of accommodations do the Philmont attendees have?  I've not heard from anyone who has attended. 

I attended Commissioner Week at the Philmont Training Center last month.  Attendees live in 'Tent City,' two occupants to a tent.  The tents are on concrete slabs or wooden platforms, I'd estimate about 9 ft. by 11 ft., with about an 8 foot height at the center.  Each tent has two metal cots/beds, a folding chair, a shop light zip tied to the back pole, and a plywood box with a dowel to serve as a closet.  Not quite hotel living, but downright luxurious compared to many tent camping experiences I've had.

Also, someone mentioned young men and women teaching the courses.  Not quite.  The instructors for PTC are Scouter volunteers just like you and me who actually pay for the privilege to teach at PTC (although I heard they do at least get a discounted rate).  Still, having been there I can see why someone would be happy to pay to go back, even if they do have to put in a lot of work to prep and present their class.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.

As for the topic of this thread, having a lodge/cabins is nice because it is year round, but I'm glad that I was able to enjoy Philmont in a tent because the best part of Philmont is what's outside, the time we spend there inside is the necessary evil we endure to enjoy what's outside.

• Upvote 1

The cynic in me wonders about whether there is a relationship between the naming of this building after the head of a particular organization, which is the CO of the largest number of BSA units in the country, and the fact that about a year ago, that same organization announced that it was reconsidering its relationship with the BSA and then announced that it had decided to stay. Just wondering.

In addition to Monson, the buildings and structures that compose the complex will be named after four instrumental BSA founders and some of the nation’s top business leaders, including:

• Rex Tillerson, Chairman and CEO, Exxon Mobil Corporation;
  • W. “Bill†Marriott, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Marriott International, Inc.;
  • John D. Tickle, Sr., Chairman, Strongwell Corporation; and
  • Philip M. Condit, Former Chairman and CEO, Boeing (Retired).

http://scoutingnewsroom.org/press-releases/boy-scouts-america-breaks-ground-new-leadership-excellence-complex-provide-hands-training-opportunities/