Roundtable....Is yours successful?

Good morning everyone  I was hoping you would share your ideas on what makes your Roundtable successful or what areas that you think could be improved upon.

I am a UC in my district and attend our district RT regularly.  For about the last 8 months our RT attendance hasn't been all that great, with maybe 4 to 6 units represented on the Boy Scout side and less on the Cubs.  I should point out that a new RT commissioner was assigned toward the end of last year and the gentlemen is giving the job 100%.  He is open to suggestions and tries them with some success but it just hasn't been enough to boost attendance.  I don't think it is the fault of the leadership that is running our RT. 

It's my opinion that BSA hasn't adjusted the RT program enough to keep up with cultural and generation changes of its current members.  Some of that is obvious by just attending RT and looking at who's in attendance.  Very few attendees who are under the age of 50.  Now that is not a knock on our older generation of scouters.  What I am saying is that maybe a younger generation of scouters doesn't find that RT provides them anything of value.

On National's website under "Roundtable Support" this is the first sentence:

​"Roundtables play a significant role in providing continuous supplemental training for unit leaders."​

It also says that "Roundtable is used to provide program topic ideas for the unit leaders." 

National has slowly been adjusting to the generational differences in scouting.  We are seeing a bigger push to conduct online training.  Something in my opinion that takes away the value of networking with one another that a classroom training would provide; but also if it was going to be something they were going to use as a tool it should have been implemented 10 years ago.

Using RT as an opportunity to present program ideas also provides little value.  We are in a technology driven age.  When people, not just scouters, want to know something it seems like they don't talk to each other.  They pick up their phone or their computer and start punching away at the keys, hit enter and there's their answer.  I won't go into other contributing factors such as time and economics. 

I think it is time for BSA to assess the value of RT and restructure the program to make it more useful.  My suggestion would be to use RT as a platform for units to discuss with each other areas that they have identified as needing improvement and get ideas on how to improve from other units.  Also the units could become more involved in the district by offering suggestions to the district staff.  For lack of a better term, simply a brainstorming season.

Case in point, I'm not on this forum asking you all about training or programming ideas.  I have identified an area needing improvement, in my opinion, and ask you all for your thoughts.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this topic.

Cohiba, welcome to the forums, and I think you stated the situation quite well.

Indeed, RT is slowly becoming obsolete.   Which is a darn shame, because even with our technological focus, there is still value in talking to other humans, face to face.   But if RT doesn't meet the unit leaders' needs, they will stay away.   Not enough hours in the day to fit in another meeting of nominal value.   Or to hear another round of FOS/popcorn pitches or JTE browbeating. 

I like the brainstorming format.   Good RTs that I've seen in my travels have more give and take between the units, and less one-way communication (district staffers talking to/at the unit leaders, endless reading of announcements, etc.).

I've advocating making RT at least 50 percent social time, with snacks and beverages.   Get the formal stuff out of the way, and if people want to stick around and unwind, vent, shoot the breeze with other scouters, it's a safe environment to do so.

As a district staffer myself, we haven't had a RT staff nor a RT in several years.   Instead, our monthly district staff meeting is an event where unit leaders are welcome, and our agenda addresses things that are of interest to both district and units.   It's not perfect but it works well enough.   We are a small, rural district.   Folks travel long distance to attend meetings.   And several scouters are dual hatted (district/unit).   One meeting, one hour, district business taken care of, and folks socialize a bit afterwards.

There is also this harsh reality: hours at work have increased, and commute times have more than doubled.

Unfortunately both of those are not conducive to "phoning it in."

RT has to be a place where scouters can solve their problems. Where they really take care of one another. Where folks go home glad they came.

That means information, interactions, and inspiration.

• Upvote 1

Before our District divided in two, our keys to RT success were:

1) ONE STOP SHOP for unit service needs.  On the Cub side, day camp, Webelos Woods, training events were all plugged and information supported at RT.  In addition, a Professional was available to take any paperwork which needed to go to Council.  The format was a model pack meeting under the theme, 2 months out.

On the Boy side, the Advancement Committee did ELSP reviews/sign-offs (this is before 2015), OA had the chapter meeting, and the Professionals were not allowed to speak.  RT is a PROGRAM operation of the commissioner service, not an adjunct of the professional service.

2) PROGRAM support, 2 months out. 

3) FOS, Popcorn, etc ... those could be break-outs or tables, but they were not plenary session material.

Sadly, the Dir of Fld Svc finally forced us to let the professionals have time, and attendance went on the skids.  Scouting is a labor of love by volunteers, unit serving, district serving, and council serving.  When volunteers get treated like employees (sans pay), well ... most of us can find place where we are cherished for our volunteer service.

• Upvote 1

My old district started really ratcheting the hype up and it helped a bit but I have had enough of bazooka bazooka bubble gum. The Cubs would have breakout sessions 5-6 with different topics and a moderator. The moderator did not have an agenda or plan but was just there to get things started. It was great just talking to 7-8 other scouters about issues and ways to solve them.

No beading ceremonies with long speeches about the Boar War and Zulus!

• Upvote 1

Beading ceremonies at RT: once every 13 months.

The district has a steak-out picnic for its last RT meeting.

The chapter advisor has meetings on RT nights so arrowmen can car pool with their unit leaders.

• Upvote 1

The "offishul"  BSA  RT training is a good beginning, but YOUR success depends on the following IMHO:

1)  Publicity.   Tout the RT in all means.  **Mention it at Camporees,

** Make sure every training , BS and CS, and VC, mentions RT during the training. Collect email addresses from the newbies for:::

**Send a postcard to ALL registered Scout Leaders  in your District. (Your DE should get behind this and council should foot the bill.  What else have they been doing with that surplus from CSDC?), 

**get yourself (The RTcommish may have to do this) a list of the emails of all the registered Scout Leaders (CS and BS and VC)  in your District  from your DE.  Collate this, talk to your internet provider and find out how to send emails to all (?) 350 of them!  Verizon requires I divvy them up in blocks/pages of about 30. Big deal.  This way, you don't have to use a proprietary template, but , do what is best for you.  Instead of in the body of the email, I create an interesting Newsletter and attach the pages. Works good, folks can copy and resend easily.

** In all this PR, don't forget your COs.  

** Answer the question "What the heck is a "RRRRound Table?  I have a lot of other  stuff to do.  "  Make it plain that every Scouter or Parent (or Scout?  How about the SPLs coming?  Another discussion) is welcome, but all you really need is some representation from the unit to share in the fun and fellowship and to pass on the gleaned info and new knowledge and experience.    Which leads to :::

2)  An Interesting Program:   Yes, we let the "pros" speak, but it is understood "they" are not the reason folks come to RT.   Yes, we do "official" announcements, and sometimes a WB beading (SHORT! only one chorus of BtG), but the real reason our RT numbers have almost doubled in the past years is because folks enjoy their time .  I'm just sad the church won't allow food in our meeting space.  It should never feel like a classroom, IMHO.  No "death by Power Point".   Speak to me, use the white board, give out souvenirs.  Ask and share ideas.

CS:  Our CSRTCommish is a good one.  Sample Pack Meeting. Divy up into Dens and do skits, follow the theme of the next/2 months on. Sample crafts, songs, invite WHO to your Pack?

BS:   Demo skills with REAL experts: Podiatrist comes and talks about blister prevention, boot fitting, socks can be interesting?  VCrew that does Mountain Rescue as a specialty (seek these folks out!).   LNT?   You have a  council  committee , call them. 

Rule #1:  If it sounds interesting to you, (in moderation!)  It will probably be interesting to your RT.

Rule #2:  Ask your folks what THEY might want to discuss/ see/ learn.   And try to set it up.   Disabled Scouts?   Found the Council Committee for that, I actually had an old Scouter come up and shake my hand to say "Thank you " for that one.

Rule #3:  Always have a Plan B.  This includes having an Assistant RTCommish to call and include in ideas.  And if you are sick. Or the scheduled presenter can't make it,  Maybe show a video (got a projector?)  "Down and Derby".   "The Scouts of Harlem: Troop 759".  et al.  Challenge these old fogies to a knot tying contest .  Patrol Competition among Scoutmasters?  Whadaconcept! 

Rule #4:  Don't forget to break the rules now and then.   We never had an end of season cookout, but hey, second year!  Two years, it's a tradition!  Actually got two Troops to offer to do the cooking demo .    And, since "no one is here in July" (?)  I scheduled an "Oval Table" meeting at a local restaurant.  Had twelve folks show up for coffee, a sandwich, slice of cake, and some good back and forth.  

Have a table of handouts  for folks to take IF THEY WISH.   We have no printed agenda, we put it up on a white board.  No "Mail boxes" with lots of stuff that only gets thrown out,  I put all of it out (except the real important stuff. THAT gets hand delivered by some Commisher to the Unit Meeting) on a table, over file folders. Easy to spread out, pick up at end of night.   It does disappear.  

That's enough for right now.   Remember, if it isn't fun for YOU , the RTCommish, it won't be fun for your Unit Rep Audience, and why should they come?  

See you on the trail...

• Upvote 2

No beading ceremonies with long speeches about the Boar War and Zulus!

Excellent!

Beading ceremonies at RT: once every 13 months.

Excellent as well   :)

It's been said before I know, but I cannot express in words how over-the-top and self-indulgent most of those beading ceremonies are to us non-WB types.   If they must be done in a public forum, please keep them dignified and short.   Have a private gathering for all of the inside jokes, story telling, singing, etc.

I know I sound like a big grumpy so-and-so (guilty as charged), but I'm one of those folks that not only watches the ceremony, and I watch the others in the audience as they witness the ceremony.   Trust me, there is eye-rolling and "what the...." aplenty during the bead presentations.  

Edited by desertrat77

I just started attending RTs a few months ago, and I am fortunate that our district puts together a pretty good program, lots of hands-on stuff and planning tools in the breakouts.  

I spent plenty of time volunteering for the VFW in the past, so I get meeting dynamics.  Two observations:  

1.  People who don't see the value of, or are personally uncomfortable with a live in-person meeting need to get over themselves.  Google and online forums are nice (hat tip to Scouter.com :)), but you gotta be around live Scouters to experience that world and not think in a vacuum.

2.  Meeting leaders, please watch the clock!  If it's scheduled from 7 to 8:30,  stick to it!  Start on time, cut off the windbags so you can keep moving, shorten news & information as needed, and don't waste people's time!!  I think that's one of the biggest turnoffs for volunteers.  You gotta pencil in time for schmoozing (or networking for the more serious-minded) as mentioned above.

Edited by dilrod
  • Upvote 1

Hands on, announcements at the end.  Put them on a piece of paper people can take home.  You know, like they do at church?

Professionals (and their lackeys) at a table where you can visit them if you wish.  (YES great idea)

If I am not the popcorn kernel, don't bother me with 15 minutes of announcements over each of the next three months.

I do love the recommendation of getting discussion ideas from scouters.  Bring in an expert for some of them.  

I quit going to my RT -- glad someone else has the duty, so I don't know if they have changed much.  

Our representative comes back making the same boring announcements I remember from RT, so I'll bet not.

I attend RT fairly regularly.  It is right after the UC meeting so I just hang around a bit longer.  When they have RT out in the district somewhere, I don't go.  I can always find out what's going on with the district off the council website.  Last RT was supposed to be the  big year end district "dinner."  It was a potluck in the basement of the church where RT's are usually held.  A hearty round of applause was held for all the great food that was brought by dedicated scouters.  About 1/4 of the food was prepared in the traditional manner with the other 3/4th's being contributed from a selection from the local grocery deli, KFC, and whatever convenience store one happen to be passing on the way to RT.  And then they can't figure out why I'm not all agog about attending?  Seriously?

Next year if one attends, they get to write their name on a piece of paper and drop it in the big fish bowl that will be used to draw the winning name of a free weekend of cabin camping at the council camp.  I just took my Webelos boys to council camp and camped for free in tents.  

They did one of those pass around "awards" that was supposed to be taken home, put something on it and bring it back next RT.  I "won" it once and "forgot" to take it home, then I "forgot" to bring something to put on it and when they said that wasn't being fair to everyone, I informed them it was better than having me take it home and "forget" to bring it back.... ever.   I never won it again after that.

Over the years I have been in attendance at the 3 different RT's of the 3 different districts.  Some where better than others, but the one I attend now I attend regularly because I haven't figured out how to gracefully disappear after the UC meeting.... :(