loosing our charter and seeking new

Go to solution Solved by bobcatbrown520,

I recently received a document from our council, while I was researching for my new job as troop treasurer...

The document title was:

FISCAL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR BSA UNITS 

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 

What happens to the unit funds and equipment should the unit dissolve? 
The unit committee shall apply unit funds and property to the payment of unit obligations and shall 
turn over the surplus, if any, to the chartered organization or the council, as may be agreed upon, 
pending reorganization of the unit or for the promotion of the program of the Boy Scouts of 
America. 

Yes, but the disposition of the funds and gear are covered in the BSA Rules and Regulations. It leaves that decision to the council, not the CO. The CO can be the holder of the assets but they are for the purpose of Scouting.

Nice platitudes... what's there to agree upon if BSA is going to simply take the money and assets anyway?   

There's got to be an honesty clause in there somewhere.... Oh, yes, the Scout Law.

I sure wouldn't be a part of that process should my unit shut down. 

• Solution

Well we had a conversation with our COR and the new charter. Our new  COR position will be held by a former Webelo leader that I know and get along with good and basically nothing will change. The KC agrees to turn all assets ect....over to the Parish. Our DE and Council already agree to this. The Parish just wants a Pack. Supposedly there has been a 40 year old discussion as to who actually owned our Pack....word is that the Pack has jumped from Parish to KC and back and forth several times lol. The Parish Priest knows that the boys raise the money that operates our Pack and just wants us to run it as he really knows very little about scouting lol

It seems we are living this nightmare too, in a way....

As most of you know, I was asked to be the troop's treasurer a couple months ago

It turns out that everything was set up rather badly I think.

We're chartered by a catholic parish

and our COR is not active

most things (trailer tags, banking) were set up with a former leader's mailing address, and I suspect in a few cases their SSN

So the CC wanted to change banks before I took over, and so we just finally got that mess squared away...

It seems that nobody in the parish office understands or know "who owns the unit"

we were referred to the Diocese person that handles the scouting program (religious medals)... they didn't understand either

some seem to think it should go through their office just like the youth group does

others think that things are owned by the BSA

or they think we are our own entity.

Now I find out about the trailer tags.  I want to change the mailing address to the church before they expire. (yeah, I know not the treasurer's job, but it was in the box of files they gave me, and we don't currently have a secretary)  

Can't because they are registered to the troop, apparently under a leader's ssn to his home address.  He's no longer available to help.

I also found an old expired document re. vehicle insurance falling under the diocese, which begs more questions...

Now yet another person is telling me that the trailers are owned by the troop

and that they should be registered to the "leader"

ugh.... I should have listened to my gut... Run Away!!!!

It's what I get for trying to help.

I'm starting to think that it would be best to get that in writing about our owning the stuff.  Form an LLC, and move all banking and everything else to it.

It would certainly be easier!

sadly, I'm joking (sort of)

• Upvote 1

It seems we are living this nightmare too, in a way....

...Now I find out about the trailer tags.  I want to change the mailing address to the church before they expire. (yeah, I know not the treasurer's job, but it was in the box of files they gave me, and we don't currently have a secretary)  

Can't because they are registered to the troop, apparently under a leader's ssn to his home address.  He's no longer available to help.

I also found an old expired document re. vehicle insurance falling under the diocese, which begs more questions...

Now yet another person is telling me that the trailers are owned by the troop

and that they should be registered to the "leader"

LoL! You're still treasurer, it's just they want you to treasure some material stuff. :eek:

Many CO's don't want to "own" trailers or other vehicles. So, troops find a leader to keep the tags in his name. (Usually the guy most likely to pull the trailer.) No leader steps up? Say "Fine, the trailer doesn't get on the road until one does."

Edited by qwazse