Safe Scouting/Webelos - Boy Scout Meeting

I understand the concern. Axes aren't part Weblos' age-appropriate activities. So, a den shouldn't bother setting up an axe yard.

But does that mean that a troop can't set up the yard when Webelos are around? That a Webelos can't train under the guidance of the troop during a troop activity to use an axe?

And even if the behavior is suspect. Should we encourage scouters to sweep it under the rug? Better to let folks see what happen. Somebody who cares to make a comment, and unit leaders think "Oh, add that to the things to improve upon next time."

It's happened to me (with venturers who've given me permission to share pics), and I'm better and wiser for it.

If woods tools are not an age-appropriate activity for Webelos boys, why would anyone think it necessary to train them?  Yes, an ax yard at a Webelos event is appropriate for adult use.  No one under 18 allowed in the ax yard unless there is a visible Totin' Chit visibly displayed to anyone near the yard.

Rule #1 Safety first.  No exceptions, no excuses.  Nothing to discuss.

I understand the concern. Axes aren't part Weblos' age-appropriate activities. So, a den shouldn't bother setting up an axe yard.

But does that mean that a troop can't set up the yard when Webelos are around? That a Webelos can't train under the guidance of the troop during a troop activity to use an axe?

Nope. No axe and no saw. The BSA tools guidelines are clear on who can use what. These need to be employed at EVERY unit actvitiy, including Eagle Projects. We work with our candidates to make sure all the BSA guidelines are followed.

If units cannot have webelos shoot archery or bb guns during unit events, why would they be allowed to use tools prohibited at unit events?

Understood!

While I understand why you are doing it that way I do think you are missing a trick though. Photos of scouts doing fun stuff with big smiles on their face is the best recruitment tool we have. Think about that photo of the canoe on the shore, put a photo of that same canoe in the water with a smiling scout in it and you have recruitment gold.

Or, during the recruiting presentation one can constantly keep asking.  "Can you see yourself pictured here some day?"  :)  The Imagination is a powerful tool, too!

Or, during the recruiting presentation one can constantly keep asking.  "Can you see yourself pictured here some day?"  :)  The Imagination is a powerful tool, too!

Imagination is powerful I'll agree. But I'd dispute that it's as powerful as non scout kids seeing, properly, what their friends in scouts are doing. This album is of a day out windsurfing. When these photos went on line we had a big spike in kids appearing on the waiting list. The scouts that went were showing their friends what they had got up to and word quickly spread. The website photos give our scouts the tools they need to go out and do their own recruiting. Like I said, recruitment gold.

• Upvote 2

Imagination is powerful I'll agree. But I'd dispute that it's as powerful as non scout kids seeing, properly, what their friends in scouts are doing. This album is of a day out windsurfing. When these photos went on line we had a big spike in kids appearing on the waiting list. The scouts that went were showing their friends what they had got up to and word quickly spread. The website photos give our scouts the tools they need to go out and do their own recruiting. Like I said, recruitment gold.

Exactly. We post archery, shotgun, climbing and all our action pics on FB and other places. Best recruitment tool ever.

• Upvote 1

Well, you should have the Part A and B medical form for all scouts, and it has the photo release on it (on part of Part A). 

I was going to say that I thought there was a release on the application or someplace.... I forgot about the medical form!

In the medical form?  Couldn't they find a more obscure place for it?

One also needs to be aware that those permission slips, photo permission slips etc. do not constitute legal contracts and carry no weight in a legal suit.  Allowing a scout to get into your car to go to an activity is as binding of a "contract" as signing a permission waiver.  This is why BSA carries liability insurance.

As part of the signing up process.  Every parent is provided with the Application, Medical A&B, Pack Bylaws, a Photo Release form, Family talent survey and Information packet that explains Cub Scouts, our Pack History and positions in our Pack.  Our facebook page is a closed page.  Our facebook page administrator is only open to certain "invited" people.  We do not allow names to be posted to any picture. 

So, you really are just worried about if something bad will happen if scouters see your W-1's working axes (presumably safely).

Well, you can expect comments and back-and- forth between conscientious scouters who want to save your boys from folly.

If you all are willing to grin and bear it, share the pics.

If you think folks are going to be thin skinned in the face of criticism, don't post 'em.

This has been an interesting discussion. We routinely post photos of the pack walking as a group in parades. We use photos of pack meetings and some of the activities (like visits from reptile collections) for our publicity in the newspaper and in the recruiting ads at schools. I don't see a material difference between paper and facebook for stuff like this. To me the difference is a photo of an event as opposed to a photo of a boy, in agreement with the comments so far.

When I do take individual photos, I only give them to the parents.  But the pack doesn't have a FB page so really, I guess we've dodged the issue, lol.

In the medical form?  Couldn't they find a more obscure place for it?

One also needs to be aware that those permission slips, photo permission slips etc. do not constitute legal contracts and carry no weight in a legal suit.  Allowing a scout to get into your car to go to an activity is as binding of a "contract" as signing a permission waiver.  This is why BSA carries liability insurance.

The time I went skydiving on a whim, the friend I went with, and his wife, were experienced skydivers... and one of them was a lawyer... they told me the same thing about all those waivers I was signing