"Knock it off with them negative waves."

I admit, I've been negative of late. I'm tired of seeing the same problems over and over again. But more importantly as a dad I am tired of seeing my son get frustrated by both the Scouts he's working with, and with the adults. And that does include me.

So I'm going to "knock it off with them negative waves," and be a proud dad for a change. Then I'm moving on to the proud leader.

Son is doing an outstanding job, all things considered. He's taking care of his patrol, working with individuals as needed. He is encouraging those who need it, and correcting those who need correction. Talking to him last nite made me realize he to is walking a hire wire. He balancing doing the stuff for the PL versus trying to mentor the PL. And when  the adults get out of the way, work does get done. he's come a long way.

As for the patrol, they are realizing that voting has consequences. Some realize that they need to look at who can do the job and get things done, instead of who their best buddy is. They are finally starting to get it.

• Upvote 1

I admit, I've been negative of late. I'm tired of seeing the same problems over and over again. But more importantly as a dad I am tired of seeing my son get frustrated by both the Scouts he's working with, and with the adults. And that does include me.

So I'm going to "knock it off with them negative waves," and be a proud dad for a change. Then I'm moving on to the proud leader.

Son is doing an outstanding job, all things considered. He's taking care of his patrol, working with individuals as needed. He is encouraging those who need it, and correcting those who need correction. Talking to him last nite made me realize he to is walking a hire wire. He balancing doing the stuff for the PL versus trying to mentor the PL. And when  the adults get out of the way, work does get done. he's come a long way.

As for the patrol, they are realizing that voting has consequences. Some realize that they need to look at who can do the job and get things done, instead of who their best buddy is. They are finally starting to get it.

A Scout is Cheerful.  :)  Once one steps back and looks at the situation with a bit of distance, more often than not, it is a lot easier to see some really good things going on.  ALWAYS make a comment about the positive things going on and ignore the negative.  What is negative is known to be a problem and let the powers that be work on it.  The boys will eventually figure things out without some adult stepping in and taking an opportunity to lead away from them.

This is how you become a happy ASM ... by letting the patrols work through their storming and norming stages.

At this point in the life of the patrol (maybe a little later) I begin introducing how to make the perfect espresso.

This is how you become a happy ASM ... by letting the patrols work through their storming and norming stages.

At this point in the life of the patrol (maybe a little later) I begin introducing how to make the perfect espresso.

Actually they are planing steak dinner for the next camp out. to paraphrase the 2nd ed BS FB: Cooking a steak over an open grill? Now that's perfection

!

We had a twist on this "negative waves" issue this past weekend.

Several of the patrols went off their menu. One was supposed to have Dutch oven pizza. They had spent the day running around exploring and were admittedly too tired to spend the time doing their planned menu. They did spaghetti instead. They put all the toppings for the pizza in the sauce. Tasted great! The dough for the crust? They made little dough balls, filled them with chocolate and fried them.

Two adults came back from "circulating" to check on the patrols. One was going off on how the patrol was off their menu plan. I simply asked:

"Are they wasting food?"

"Is anyone going hungry?"

"Is anyone getting hurt or in danger?"

"Are they learning?"

It got very quiet after that. ;)

• Upvote 4