@@JoeBob is correct with the knowing the rules up-front.  A lot of troops have manuals explaining all the do's and don'ts of the troop and they and their parents sign away their lives to make sure the boys comply.  But then when something relatively minor hits the fan for a deicated scout the rules get bent, and the fun begins.

My second rule, "Look and act like a Scout" has served me well for many years.  My standard comment is, "Is that your interpretation of how a Scout is supposed to act? (or look?).  99% of the time it corrects the problem.  If they can justify their actions then I'm all for hearing about it.  Usually the ensuing conversation brings clarification to the situation well enough no punishment is ever doled out.  If it is necessary, it usually established by the culprit and is self-policed.  Word gets around the troop pretty fast so the boys pretty much know what's okay and what's not.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Other side of the Atlantic but....   I had a disruptive scout who jumped before he was pushed. He wasn't a danger to anyone, it was the persistent low level aggravation and disruption. He quit after

Roc Doc,       Yes. Several times over 33 years. Just say "NO." Don't let anyone change your mind.   It's simple. He kept doing what he wanted to do but got tired of being counseled to death with

"A foul-mouthed bully, with a habit of stealing...Dismissed from NYLT.."  No sign of changing.  No.  Just no.  You don't need any more justification than that.

@JoBob, @@gumbymaster and @@Stosh nailed it. IF you take him back there have to be conditions. Scouting is not about just taking the Norman Rockwell poster children, it's also for the troubled youth. Who knows, you may be the only thing standing between him and suicide or a life of crime.

We have an ASM in our unit who came from a broken home. He went on to succeed in life, went to a military academy and served as well. He handles our "trouble kids" because he is the best empathizer...but he does not let them get away with anything. Each has a behavior plan. They stray from it or break a health/safety rule then they're gone. They know they're on notice. There is an evaluation period and chance to get off the behavior plan. Most make it and shape up. Some don't. In ten years only two have been asked to leave or denied entry.

If you are not staffed/trained well enough to handle something like this then it may be an issue.

Edited by Krampus

As a rule of thumb,  one bad Scout can drive five good Scouts out of the program.

There are good reasons for the Scout Law.  It is NECESSARY for boys (and adults)  to obey the Scout Law or you really can't have Scouting.

So I wouldn't let him back in.

A boy who wont reasonably conform to the Scout Law should be suspended  for a time and given another opportunity to change his behavior.  If that doesn't work after a time or two,  it's good bye.