Castaway Adventure Pin at Camp

For our Webelos Winter Camp, I am in charge of getting the boys through the Castaway Adventure pin. I will have 2 1-hour sessions to get through as much of the pin as I can.  I am looking for some feedback on the plan.

Requirements for the Castaway Webelos/AOL Adventure
  1.  Do two of these:
    1. With the help of an adult, demonstrate one way to light a fire without using matches.
      • ​​I am going to teach them how to make a fire with flint (or churt) and steel with char cloth.  Teach them how to make char cloth
    2. On a campout with your den or family, cook two different recipes that do not require pots and pans.
      • Each session, we can make something that doesn't require pots or pans.  maybe woofem's over a file or trail mix.  Any other suggestions (I think I won't have much budget)
    3. Using tree limbs or branches that have already fallen or been cut, build a shelter that will protect you overnight.
      • I'd like to do this but they won't be sleeping in them.  Is that cheating to build it and not sleep in it?  I'd prefer to do this than the cooking one.
  2. Do all of these:
    1. Make a list of items that should be in an outdoor survival kit that you can carry in a small bag or box that easily fits in a day pack. Record the most important items in your Webelos Handbook.
      1. I was thinking of bringing a day pack and a garbage bag full of good and bad stuff.  let them pack the day pack and show them a properly pack day pack.
    2. Show you can live “off the grid†by minimizing your use of electricity for one week. Keep a log of what you did. Discuss with your den members how you adjusted to this lifestyle.
      1. This will have to be an at home activity that they can start.  might be hard since this is right after xmas.
    3. With your den, invent a game that can be played without using electricity and using minimal equipment or simple items.
      1. I will demonstrate a cope game and then let them design a new one.
    4. Name your game, write down the rules once you have decided on them, then play the game at two different den meetings or outings.
      1. They can play it at this camp during each session.  Is that cheating?
    5. Teach your game to the members of your pack or other Scouts if you have the opportunity.
      1. They can teach it to others and play it again at the end of camp?  
    6. With your Webelos den, demonstrate two different ways to treat drinking water to remove impurities.
      1. We can go over several method for filtering water.  Heck it gives me an excuse to buy one of those cool new UV sterilizers :-)  filter, iodine, what other methods are easy?
    7. Discuss what to do if you become lost in the woods. Tell what the letters “S-T-O-P†stand for. Tell what the universal emergency signal is. Describe three ways to signal for help. Demonstrate one of them. Describe what you can do you do to help rescuers find you.
      1. Talking, and demonstrate.   I'll try to not make this boring by letting them practice.
    8. Make a list of four qualities you think a leader should have in an emergency and why they are important to have. Pick two of them and act them out for your den. Describe how each relates to a point of the Scout Law. Describe how working on this adventure gave you a better understanding of the Boy Scout motto.
      1. Yawn.....

Less structure, more fun.

Try incorporating some of your ideas into a fun group activity, say like Hunger Games. For example for survival, have a collection of items (useful and not) and give a group of scouts x seconds to grab only y items. Oh and make it a surprise. They should have no idea what is coming next.

No pins for being there. Best group wins the golden pine cone.

My $0.02

P.S. If you Yawned, they will too.

Edited by RememberSchiff

For our Webelos Winter Camp, I am in charge of getting the boys through the Castaway Adventure pin. I will have 2 1-hour sessions to get through as much of the pin as I can.  I am looking for some feedback on the plan.

Requirements for the Castaway Webelos/AOL Adventure
  1.  Do two of these:
    1. With the help of an adult, demonstrate one way to light a fire without using matches.
      • ​​I am going to teach them how to make a fire with flint (or churt) and steel with char cloth.  Teach them how to make char cloth   
      •  
      • You can also try the magnifying glass and  9volt battery and fine steel wool. 
    2. On a campout with your den or family, cook two different recipes that do not require pots and pans.
      • Each session, we can make something that doesn't require pots or pans.  maybe woofem's over a file or trail mix.  Any other suggestions (I think I won't have much budget)
      • anything foil fooking would work.  also shish ka bobs, eggs in an orange, and some other stuff that's out there
    3. Using tree limbs or branches that have already fallen or been cut, build a shelter that will protect you overnight.
      • I'd like to do this but they won't be sleeping in them.  Is that cheating to build it and not sleep in it?  I'd prefer to do this than the cooking one.
      • says sleep in it. No sleep, then it's a cheat.
      • My troop growing up did this type of Wilderness Survival stuff for our Webelos Overniter. Going to talk to the PLC about this next year.
  2. Do all of these:
    1. Make a list of items that should be in an outdoor survival kit that you can carry in a small bag or box that easily fits in a day pack. Record the most important items in your Webelos Handbook.
      1. I was thinking of bringing a day pack and a garbage bag full of good and bad stuff.  let them pack the day pack and show them a properly pack day pack.                                                          
      2. think smaller, like a gallon size ziploc bag
    2. Show you can live “off the grid†by minimizing your use of electricity for one week. Keep a log of what you did. Discuss with your den members how you adjusted to this lifestyle.
      1. This will have to be an at home activity that they can start.  might be hard since this is right after xmas.
    3. With your den, invent a game that can be played without using electricity and using minimal equipment or simple items.
      1. I will demonstrate a cope game and then let them design a new one.
    4. Name your game, write down the rules once you have decided on them, then play the game at two different den meetings or outings.
      1. They can play it at this camp during each session.  Is that cheating?
    5. Teach your game to the members of your pack or other Scouts if you have the opportunity.
      1. They can teach it to others and play it again at the end of camp?  
    6. With your Webelos den, demonstrate two different ways to treat drinking water to remove impurities.
      1. We can go over several method for filtering water.  Heck it gives me an excuse to buy one of those cool new UV sterilizers :-)  filter, iodine, what other methods are easy? Boiling
    7. Discuss what to do if you become lost in the woods. Tell what the letters “S-T-O-P†stand for. Tell what the universal emergency signal is. Describe three ways to signal for help. Demonstrate one of them. Describe what you can do you do to help rescuers find you.
      1. Talking, and demonstrate.   I'll try to not make this boring by letting them practice.
      2. 1. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO HELICOPTERS OR AIRPLANES FLYING OVERHEAD! One Wilderness Survival MBC told me a tale about the State Trooper helicopter landing in a field to see what the medical emergency was. Yep it was the Scouts working on Wilderness Survival MB   2. have bright colored clothing and equipment, i.e. sleeping pads, sleeping bags, cooler,backpacks, etc to use for the signals IF NOT ON A FLIGHT PATH  3. If on a flight path, use earth colored stuff
    8. Make a list of four qualities you think a leader should have in an emergency and why they are important to have. Pick two of them and act them out for your den. Describe how each relates to a point of the Scout Law. Describe how working on this adventure gave you a better understanding of the Boy Scout motto.
      1. Yawn..... Disagree as the number one important thing in a survival situation is Leadership.  Lots of books and stories on the topic. Les Stroud did a book on it with 4 or 5 examples, both with negative and positive outcomes. It can be made interesting.

Less structure, more fun.

Try incorporating some of your ideas into a fun group activity, say like Hunger Games. For example for survival, have a collection of items (useful and not) and give a group of scouts x seconds to grab only y items. Oh and make it a surprise. They should have no idea what is coming next.

No pins for being there. Best group wins the golden pine cone.

My $0.02

P.S. If you Yawned, they will too.

COME UP WITH A SCENARIO!!!!!!  Takes prep time, but well worth it. My troop didn't have a scenario as the folks in charge didn't prepare for it properly. At the "Thorns and Roses" session, comment about scenarios and advance prep  to make it more realistic and interested garnered a lot of positive feed back for next year.

OK, I am putting together a plan for Castaway.  What do you think of this?

We will prepare to embark on our quest from the Hobbit Shire...on our question to survive the ultimate challenge of the wilderness....

• We will first assemble at the embarking point and discuss our quest
  • Begin our hike to our outpost
  • What's in our pack?
    • Dump it for all to see

• We need to survive!  Fire is survival lets make fire.....
    • Gather wood, tinder, kindling
    • Make fire with flint, steel, and char cloth....  Whew that is hard.  Let's make some magic 
    • We will use a 9V battery and steel wool, cotton balls with petroleum jelly, hand sanitizer​ out of our day pack. (requirement 1a)
    • It's time for our second breakfast...  Let's make woofems  (if allergic to gluten, then have an alternative) (requirement 1b, step 1)
      • Open a can of diced peaches
      • cook a biscuit on a woofem stick
      • spoon the peach into the bread and eat it.

• Show them a cope game, crossing the river
  • I'm bored, let's invent a game that can be played without using electricity and using minimal equipment or simple items (requirement 2c)
    • What's the name your game?  write down the rules once you have decided on them, then play the game(requirement 2d part 1)

• Head back
    • On the hike; Make a list of four qualities you think a leader should have in an emergency and why they are important to have. Pick two of them and act them out for your den. Describe how each relates to a point of the Scout Law. Describe how working on this adventure gave you a better understanding of the Boy Scout motto. (requirement 2h)

Day 2

• Have them arrive at the outpost
  • Fire is going.
  • I bet you are thirsty, I'm out of water....(requirement 2f) 
    • Purify water : (Can I collect water from the lake?)
      • Boil it in the can from the peaches
      • Aquamira tablets
      • Demonstrate distilling water

• While the water cools
  • I'm hungry...(requirement 1b, step 2)
    • Put an apple in foil and cut it up.
    • Put red hots on it,
    • Place it next to the fire.
    • Bake the apple.
    • Show them a hunters packet (Or we can make one :-) )

• Let's make a shelter (requirement 1c)
  • Play the game again. (requirement 2d part 2)
  • Discuss what to do if you become lost in the woods. Tell what the letters “S-T-O-P†stand for. Tell what the universal emergency signal is. Describe three ways to signal for help. Demonstrate one of them. Describe what you can do you do to help rescuers find you. (requirement 2g)
    • Have Scout brainstorm scenarios in which they might become lost in the woods and how they would respond. Make sure to emphasize the S-T-O-P system in the Webelos Handbook: Stop, Think, Observe, Plan.
    • Cover the ways a Scout might signal to help rescuers find him:
      • Shout three times in a row, or make three blasts on a whistle.
      • Start a campfire to create a bright light at night or smoke in the daytime; tossing grass or green leaves on the flames will provide even more smoke.
      • Spread your rain gear, sleeping bag, and bright-colored equipment in the open to catch a rescue pilot’s eye, or flash a mirror in the direction of aircraft.

• Other priorities include maintaining body temperature (cool in hot weather, warm in cool weather), finding adequate shelter, and drinking plenty of water. (Don’t worry as much about food. While being hungry is not pleasant, it’s also not a high priority. Unless you are an expert in plants and properly preparing animals to eat, it’s best to save the energy and concentrate on other matters.)
      • Talk about the power of a plastic garbage bag.  Make panchos.

• go through a collection of stuff and let the pick our the correct items that should be in a survival pack. (requirement 2a)  
    • Have them make a survival box/bag

• When we get back teach parents the game and play it (requirement 2e)

• Upvote 1

OK, a discussion with the camp director about what is OK to put in the survival kit that they go home with.  I want to provide them a striker and flint rod, but the concern is if that is ok for a Webelos to have,  What are your thoughts?  Any additons or things I should omit?

This is the kit I was thinking of having them build and go home with:

·          Bag for survival kit gallon ziplock bag

o   Flint (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Ferrocerium-Starter-Survival-Magnesium-lighter/dp/B00T8VD79I/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1450065235&sr=1-9&keywords=Ferrocerium+Rod&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011 )

o   piece of hacksaw blade for a striker

o   Hand sanitizer (optional, I have some expired bottles about 75 of them, 3 oz size)

o   Cotton ball – smeared with petroleum jelly in baggy

o   Signal mirror (CD) 

o   Fishing line, hooks

o   Dental floss 

o   Mini-compass

o   Bandaids

o   Antibiotic cream

o   Garbage bag

o   Duct tape 16 inches

o   Aluminum foil

o   Safety pins

o   Small pencil

o   Paper

o   Paracord

o   Whistle

I've given out the flint and steel tools before.  Real cheap ones to fit in budget. This specifically http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Starter-Flint-Stone-Lighter/dp/B00K5I058Y/ref=pd_sim_468_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51dUlP1NKVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=15598NXPK8BS0N9YS5PE

They do work, but a bit of practice is needed.

I've given out the flint and steel tools before.  Real cheap ones to fit in budget. This specifically http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Starter-Flint-Stone-Lighter/dp/B00K5I058Y/ref=pd_sim_468_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51dUlP1NKVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=15598NXPK8BS0N9YS5PE

They do work, but a bit of practice is needed.

I need them by the 26th... of course

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from camp and the plan worked well.  We never got to build a shelter though.

It was pouring so we learned how important garbage bags are for make panchos and a ton of other uses of the bag.

They of course loved making fire, cooking, making survival kits.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Just a point of clarification in regard to shelter building, someone above said "says sleep in it. No sleep, then it's a cheat."  Actually, nowhere in the handbook does it say that you *must* sleep in it, just that it should be a shelter that would protect you if you did sleep in it.

Having slept outdoors without a tent as a Boy Scout on several occasions, I'm not sure that they want to scare away Scouts at the Webelos age.  More often than not, between temperature and bugs, sleeping in an emergency shelter is something you do because you have to, not because you want to.