Name tag assembly as a fundraiser.

The discussion of Eagle mentor/parent pins (and maybe fitting one onto a name tag) got me wondering ...

Has anyone considered a fundraiser where the boys produce custom name-tags for a community of scouters or other folks?

No idea what all equipment would be needed, but after the capital expense for tools and materials the boys would just need some training.

Course, anymore the boys might be able to design it on their game system and post it to a 3-D printer somewhere. But the concept sounds like a nice way to bring in a little cash.

But for what purpose?

It wouldn't be the "official" BSA name tag, so no good on the uniform!

I get a kick out of these vendors selling these non-uniform graphic nametags at official events such as our University of Scouting

Honestly, I don't care.... except to quote yoda, â€œDo. Or do notThere is no try.â€

Just realized the official term, according to the Insignia Guide is "nameplate

white letters on black plastic, No.20100; worn by all members, above right pocket, either above BSA strip or above interpreter strip."

But for what purpose?

It wouldn't be the "official" BSA name tag, so no good on the uniform!

I get a kick out of these vendors selling these non-uniform graphic nametags at official events such as our University of Scouting

Honestly, I don't care.... except to quote yoda, â€œDo. Or do notThere is no try.â€

So the one's available from National that are red (or white with dark lettering) are meant for non-uniform wear? :p

One of my favorite patches as a scout was hand-made by our district commissioner commemorating a first aid meet. I'm quite fond of it. I don't have a problem with it not trading for diddly, and I'll gladly hang it from the right pocket from time-to-time.

Honestly, what I would love to see someone provide is an embroidered name strip

Like what you see sewn onto some military uniforms

EXCEPT much smaller to match exactly in size, font, fleur-di-lis, etc...the official white on black one from the scout store.

I started a thread here some time ago, looking for a source.

and searched heavily online a few years back

I ultimately even ordered some from a place that I thought would be close to what I want, but when i received them they weren't.

everything looks too military

I saw a troop once, when our pack was staying at Patriot's Point, that had them..... must have been locally sourced.

Honestly, what I would love to see someone provide is an embroidered name strip

Like what you see sewn onto some military uniforms

EXCEPT much smaller to match exactly in size, font, fleur-di-lis, etc...the official white on black one from the scout store.

I had my own made.  I found the right kahki fabric for the background (1/4 yd @ ~$10/yd).  Made an image document (photoshop, paint dot net), created borders (white) with red lettering (relatively easy to read font), a small fleur-di-lis followed by the name (modeled the size and shape of an interpreter's strip), and then used "image to sewing machine" conversion software (free 30 day trial) to create saf, dst, and jef format files, took it down to a local sewing and embroidery shop, and had them use their equipment to auto stich them on the fabric (not sure which of the formats they ended up using).  It was about $20 for a 4"x4" square with ~2000 stiches and I made 4 tags (two for me, two for my son).  I probably could have gotten 6 or 8 tags in that space for barely more $, or I should have made it a little taller and less crowded to be more readable at a distance).

If someone has an auto embrodery brother sewing machine (~$300), those can take the jef file (I think it was) directly.

Edited by gumbymaster