Internet Advancement Error Message

I have been receiving the following error message all weekend when I've tried to get into the Internet Advancement system.

ORA-00936: missing expression 
The Load Roster process failed. You may try again but if the problem persists, please contact your council.

Has anyone else ever seen this message?  

Anyone else try to use the system this weekend successfully or unsuccessfully?

It says to contact my council, but they usually have no idea what's going on with BSA systems, why would they know what the error message is?

Edited by T2Eagle

BSA doesn't do it very often, but with the new highly technological functions of Irving being implemented on a nationwide scale, one can be assured that someone in the Information Technology (IT) department has made a serious Public Relations (PR) mistake with broadcasting a message like this on the screen of any home computer trying access the software.  The screen should read, "Please reboot your computer to clear the problem with your computer.  If the problem persists after 2 or 3 attempts, please contact our IT department during regular business office hours M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, excluding holidays."

Obviously the problem is on your end of the connection, Irving can never be wrong.  If you're not wrong, then the Council is.  By the time you get this problem "fixed" assume that all your boys will have Eagled out of your program and this whole advancement thing will just go away.

The message "ORA-00936: missing expression" is a problem with the syntax in a statement in a database call. They may have updated the system Friday night or Saturday morning (usually when US-based businesses do software releases, that or Sunday morning) and put in to production a piece of code that is not working. From the looks of it, it could be code that calls your troop roster based on your unit ID or your personal ID. It could also be an ID issue, meaning that your ID may not be assigned to your unit anymore which is why they ask you to contact the council rather than the BSA IT department. Cannot say anymore because I don't know their run book so I don't know what their error handling processes are. But the code is definitely a syntax error.

• Upvote 1

The message "ORA-00936: missing expression" is a problem with the syntax in a statement in a database call. They may have updated the system Friday night or Saturday morning (usually when US-based businesses do software releases, that or Sunday morning) and put in to production a piece of code that is not working. From the looks of it, it could be code that calls your troop roster based on your unit ID or your personal ID. It could also be an ID issue, meaning that your ID may not be assigned to your unit anymore which is why they ask you to contact the council rather than the BSA IT department. Cannot say anymore because I don't know their run book so I don't know what their error handling processes are. But the code is definitely a syntax error.

@@Krampus you took all the fun out of it with your techie talk.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...