Elective Timing - New Webelos/AOL Program

So the new program calls for scouts to do 5 requirements and 2 electives to earn the Webelos badge.  It then calls for 4 requirements and 3 electives for AOL.  

I haven't seen anything that says some or all of the AOL achievements couldn't also be done in the first year.  Am I correct on this?  The question arose as we have scouts already working on their 3rd electives as 1st year Webelos scouts.  Can that 3rd elective be put toward the AOL rank, or would 3 fresh electives still be needed next year.

Said another way, is the Webelos badge and AOL now like boy scout merit badges and advancement where one can essentially work ahead of the current rank?

That's how I read it.  Use what is needed to get the Webelos badge, then extras can go to AOL.  I think the only "restriction" would be to not to use the AOL required pins as Webelos electives because they'll be used later for the AOL award.

I ditto what Chisnos said. While they are suppose to work on one badge at a time like Huey said, because we are transitioning from one program to the other, adapt, improvise, and overcome. We are going to make mistakes implementing this new program.

Did a little digging around, on the BSA Program Updates page there is a FAQ for the new Cub Scout program.  It's addressed (sort of) on Page 11 of the FAQ.  It says you can work on AOL required pins before finishing the Webelos Award; so I'd assume the same would be true for electives.  It does explicity disallow "double dipping"--you can't use the same elective for both Webelos and AOL.

Webelos is still a more than one year program (16-20 months) beginning at the start of 4th grade.  So, Webelos scouts can start working and getting credit for both Webelos Award and AOL stuff once they join a Webelos den.

Thanks Chisos and Eagle.  Glad to see others interpret it things the same way I do.

It's probably far from the intent of the program, but I guess it's technically possible to wrap almost all the Webelos and AOL pins in a very short amount of the time and then just stay active enough until it's time to crossover.