Point Of Personal Priviledge

So the time has come for me to step aside.  I've given notice to the troop committee I will be stepping down as Scoutmaster as of the end of summer camp.  New SM is onboard and going to camp with us.

Actually, this has been in the works for 18 months or so.  I have always said it would be time to go when I felt my lack of enthusiasm for the program became a detriment and I've felt that way for some time.  OneCubSon has graduated college and TwoCubSon is a senior.  While I have always taken tried to leave my sons alone at Scouts, not having a son in the troop has affected me more than I expected.  I miss the half-price buffalo wing  dinners Tuesday night before the meeting and the rides home from campouts.  I generally dread campout, although I still enjoy them once we get in the woods.  Truth is, I still really enjoy Scouting, but I'm tired of leading a volunteer group of 100+ adults and kids.  I've been with the troop 10 years, nine as SM.  Before that, five years with the pack, two years as committee chairman, two years as CM.  Ran day camp for five years and wasted too much time on the district committee.  

And it's time for new blood.  For years I've had a great group of ASMs to work with who all have become good friends.  But their sons have mostly aged out too, and they are moving as well.  The parents of the Scouts in the troop need to step up and provide the program for their sons.

So how to pass along twenty years of experience in two months?  I've come to the conclusion I can't.  It's like raising children.  Teach them what you can, set the example, but then you have to let them make their own mistakes.  I see way too much Cub Scout in the new leaders, but in six weeks it's no longer my concern.  I'm going cold turkey.  No troop meetings and no campouts for at least a year.  Everyone is going to have to learn work with the new guy.  Not sure how TroopMaster works? Call tech support.  What's recharter?  Call the Unit Commissioner.  (Okay, long-time readers will know that was a joke, right up there with the left-handed smoke shifter and camp cannon report.)

I do intend to stay involved as an Eagle project coach and doing the few merit badges no one else does.  But I can do those things off-line, staying out of the new SM's hair.  I can't decide if I want to remain registered as a AMS or committee member.  Of course my DE is salivating at the thought of me having time to spare, but that's not happening either.

No retirement gifts, please, but cash is always appropriate.

Edited by Twocubdad
  • Upvote 1

Thanks from me and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at the local cafe.  Thanks from your boys... Well, that's priceless.  So on behalf of your boys, thank you for your service to scouting.

I've got to say I think you are doing the right thing... stepping out cold

I haven't been at it nearly as long as you, but After over extending myself in the pack for a few years I can relate to your dread of the camp, but enjoying once you're there...

Enjoy the "me" time!

TwoCub, It was a pleasure meeting you and one of your sons a while back. I've always valued your thoughts in these forums and like NJ, I hope you'll remain 'present' in the future even if you do have less investment now. That detached third-person view is valuable.

If not, I wish you and your sons, all of you, the best of success. And maybe I'll call you again when I'm in the area. I still have a lot of topos to find good homes.