Hi everybody I am teaching the new iron chief requirement I know I am early to my Webelos scouts I am thinking of opening this up to the rest of the pack basically if you are new to camp cooking please come  so that I can make sure you can eat and also do not get food poisoning.  What I am asking is for you guys to give your favorite camp meal recipe. From just of the fire to Dutch oven to foil meal extra I do like to eat !!!!

Hi everybody I am teaching the new iron chief requirement I know I am early to my Webelos scouts I am thinking of opening this up to the rest of the pack basically if you are new to camp cooking please come  so that I can make sure you can eat and also do not get food poisoning.  What I am asking is for you guys to give your favorite camp meal recipe. From just of the fire to Dutch oven to foil meal extra I do like to eat !!!!

Try this thread and this thread. There were several great ideas and recipes in those threads. I am sure @@Stosh (aka, Mr. Dutch Oven) knows where a few other such threads are buried around here.

Edited by Mozartbrau

a favorite is honestly hard for me to come up with

grilled steak maybe....

but one thing is for sure.... foil packet Tin Soldiers with hamburger aint it for me.  They are very popular it seems, but not my idea of good on any level.

I've been thinking of trying them with better ingredients, such as steak, asparagus, broccoli, squash, with butter and seasonings.... with insulating layers of cabbage on each side to reduce burning.... but so far have not tried it.

Besides the usual bland ingredients, my other reasons for dislike are that it is very hard to get them sealed, and we are always dealing with at least a few that have either torn or pulled open.... or folks use cheap/thin foil..... &/or they burn horribly and stick.

Honestly I believe the tin foil has gotten crappier over the years.. Normal tin foil is now good only to cover a dish, but not to either line a pan or do aluminum cooking with.. Heavy duty Tin foil is what normal tin foil use to be.. You can line a pan, but I advise wrapping twice if using for aluminum foil cooking, because using a single sheet can lead to tearing when picking up the packet... Grill foil I put at where heavy duty foil use to be..

I have not found a person who did not like this yet, and I have used with different groups at trainings.. Even my son likes it (all of it) and there isn't a vegetable he does not like.. He made faces at me the first time he saw me cooking it, but did a complete turn around once he tasted it, and now asks for it.

Chicken 7-up Stew

1 Onion -- chopped fine

4 Chicken breast halves -- Chunks

4 Carrots

4 Potatoes

+------------------------------------+

1/2 Tbs Oil -- or margarine

1/2 lbs Cheese, Velveeta

1 Bottle real bacon bits (3 oz Jar) or cook and crumble real bacon at home

1 can 7-Up

At Home:

1. Chop the onion into fine pieces. Place in a plastic Put in the cooler.

2. Chop  of the each chicken breast halves into 4-6 large chunks .

3. Peel and slice Carrots.

4. wash and slice the potatoes (only if using potatoes that will not turn brown due to starch like yellow potatoes).

5 Place chicken, carrots (& potatoes if sliced) in the same plastic bag.

Campsite:

1. Preheat the 12"; Dutch Oven to 350°. (25 coals total 17 top and 8 bottom)

2. add oil to a dutch oven.

3. Add the onion and cook until they start to become transparent.

4. (cut up potato if did not do so at home)

5. Add the chicken, carrot slices, and cut the potatoes into the dutch oven.

6. Add 1 can of 7-up. cover and cook until the potatoes are tender.

7. Cut the Velveeta cheese into chunks on top of the mixture.

8. Cover and let cook for a few minutes and the cheese melts.

9. Sprinkle the bacon bits over the top.

10. Serve in bowls sauce and all.

Servings: 4

Edited by moosetracker

Some tips for foil meals:

1) use alternative meats other than ground beef--you can use thin-sliced steak or boneless pork/chicken, you can use smoked sausage, etc.

2) Always put an onion slice in it for moisture, unless you are allergic.

3) Tater tots are the easiest form of potato--they cook faster than slices of potato.

4) Use mustard in a squeeze bottle to mark the top of the foil packet with initials. (Girl Scout trick a mother of one of my former Webelos told me)

Last campout I was on, I made the following beef stew.  Turned out great. Cooked it in a dutch oven on the stove. 

(from http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/recipe/dutch_oven_beef_stew-579.asp )

Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe   scout_spot.gif

This Recipe is meant for Boy Scouts.
Ingredients:
Per person: 

1/2 cup water 

1/4lb beef cubes 

1 carrot 

1 potato

1/4 onion

Notes:
main course
Instructions:
Pour 1/2 cup of water into dutch oven.

Heat to 350 degrees for Frying.

Add beef cubes and cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

Add rest of water and heat to boiling.

Cut carrots, potatoes, and onion into cubes and add to beef.

Add salt and pepper.

Cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

I also added a couple of cans of green beans (and I browned the meat in a few tablespoons of oil rather than in the water. )
Edited by perdidochas

a favorite is honestly hard for me to come up with

grilled steak maybe....

but one thing is for sure.... foil packet Tin Soldiers with hamburger aint it for me.  They are very popular it seems, but not my idea of good on any level.

I've been thinking of trying them with better ingredients, such as steak, asparagus, broccoli, squash, with butter and seasonings.... with insulating layers of cabbage on each side to reduce burning.... but so far have not tried it.

Besides the usual bland ingredients, my other reasons for dislike are that it is very hard to get them sealed, and we are always dealing with at least a few that have either torn or pulled open.... or folks use cheap/thin foil..... &/or they burn horribly and stick.

I've made foil packet dinners with thin-sliced round steak.  They are a bit harder to eat (need to cut with knife), but taste better than the hamburger.  Also have done them with smoked sausage.  I use onion and green peppers and carrots. 

This will win any desert competition on the planet.

2 Tubes of chocolate chip cookie dough

2 Eggs

2 Packages of cream cheese

1 cup of sugar

2 9" pie pans

1 whisk

1 mixing bowl

6 small stones of equal size

2 Dutch ovens

Charcoal/wood - looking for 350-degrees

Cut one tube of cookie dough in half and pack each half into one of the 9" pie pan bottoms.  It should cover the bottom completely as well as the sides.

Put cream cheese, eggs, sugar into mixing bowls and with the whisk stir until your arm is about to fall off, then hand off to the next patrol member, and continue until ever patrol member has a sore arm.

Pour equally into each cookie dough pie pan.

Cut the second tube of cookie dough in half and use them to sprinkle bits of cookie dough on the top of each cheese cake.

Put 3 stones in each of the #12 Dutch ovens and put the pie pans balanced on them so they don't touch the Dutch oven anywhere.

Put on lid, cover with 15 briquettes on top, 9 on the bottom for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

One pie goes to the competition, the other stays with the sore-armed patrol.  If the judges want more, too bad.  This recipe is supposed to be a secret.  Anyone on this forum can use it with the caveat that if my patrols are in the competition, you can't enter this recipe in the competition.

This recipe also works in a 9"x13" cake pan in a regular oven.  Which is a clue.  Any thing that can be prepared in a 9"x13" cake pan can be done by splitting into 2 9" pie pans in 2 Dutch ovens.  3 up/3 down on a Dutch oven give an approximate 350-degree oven.  3 up/3 down means if you have a #8 DO = 11 top/5 bottom, #10 DO = 13 top/7 bottom  #12  15 top/9 bottom,  If you are using your mess kit as a Dutch oven, it's 3 on the bottom and 4-5 on the top.

Bon Appetite!

Stosh -- this isn't THE cheesecake recipe you've been holding out on us all this all these years is it? OMG!

:) Well, kinda, ya caught me at a weak moment.... 

There is unfortunately one ingredient which has been left out in case I have to go up against a usurper.

I think it's called Recipe Evolution where a new one supersedes the old one.  Look at it this way, the Missing Link is the secret ingredient.   :)

Don't worry this recipe as is will still beat any cobbler out there.  

Ever try Hot Hot Chocolate.  I can assure you there ain't no Swiss Miss in this recipe.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

I think it's called Recipe Evolution where a new one supersedes the old one.  Look at it this way, the Missing Link is the secret ingredient.   :)

funny, I just caught up on the thread about singing for lost items, and that also had a referenced to the evolution topic, then I came to catch up on this one.. Seems that topic is migrating into a lot of other threads.. :rolleyes:

funny, I just caught up on the thread about singing for lost items, and that also had a referenced to the evolution topic, then I came to catch up on this one.. Seems that topic is migrating into a lot of other threads.. :rolleyes:

Whatever would make one think that.  Surely the whole concept of recipe competition is a natural selection for evolving into a more superior form of just desserts that one is willing to sing for their supper in order to receive the required reward.   Now, granted, such epicurean delights may not all appear equal in a cobbler competition, but a superior cheesecake mutation does cause one to wonder just how to classify such alterations and adaptations or a mutation with a more political agenda than expected one might expect to find at a cobbler competition.  Does such entries go beyond the requirement and thus draw the wrath of biased judging officials?  And if the resulting dessert is of a heavenly nature in the realm of taste, would it be merely myth or faith that finally tips the judges bias to awarding the sample as meeting all the requirements for First Class.   :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1