Troop Wants To Change Council.

Go to solution Solved by derf56,

Moose,

Unless things change, when districts get realigned, the stats are reset to incorporate the change.

For example, when I was a DE in 1998 and we got an Exploring/Venturing DE, I lost my Explorer Posts/ Venturing Crews to that "district" and my stats and all the other districts that lost Posts and Crews were reset to include previous history without the lost units.

And the Exploring/Venturing DE has previous year's stats on all the Explorer Posts from 1997, incuding those that dropped.

But losing youth to another council is a whole other ball of wax.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...and here I was believing that "For the boys" drivel.

Thank you to all who responded. We have received all info from national, in writing. A troop cannot move from one council to another for any reason, Unless all leaders and scouts physically move to t

Smart, Smart... You avoided a civil war in the old homestead.

I have never heard of a unit changing councils (not counting councils that ceased to exist, of course.)  I would have assumed it was not possible.

I also have never heard of a unit switching from one district to another.  It seems to me that it defeats the purpose of having geographic districts at all.

I also have never heard of a unit switching from one district to another.  It seems to me that it defeats the purpose of having geographic districts at all.

Our old district was horrid. Cronyism every where. Mismanagement. Only wanted reports and stats from you, never gave anything in return. 

Other district is two miles away. Simply left and joined the other district. Filled out less paperwork than it took to get a rank advancement to make it happen (see how I linked two threads together?) ;)

It's not that we allow or don't allow people to participate, poor choice of words on my part (although there are troops that complain about them coming, but that's a different story).  My comment about getting prizes was just meant to show how thoughtful and courteous this troop was.

Although, Stosh, I do have to say, we don't see a lot of sharing among councils or districts various events in my area and I have heard of troops turned away when they went to register for an event outside their area.

That might be just a local problem.  My boys are on emailing lists of other districts and nearby councils because they don't go to their roundtables and therefore asked to be.  Everyone has gladly provided information when asked.  Being turned away at pre-registration might be a problem some places, but we've never experienced it around here.  It's too bad your boys can't participate in activities they would like because of adult politics.

Mozartbrau, did any other units switch districts?

I guess if one unit does it and is allowed to do it quietly, the impact will be minimal.  If you have a large number of units trying to move from District A to District B, there are going to be problems.  And if the district is THAT bad, why wouldn't ALL the units want to move?  So eventually you just have a "district" with apparently bad leadership and no units, and a district map that isn't really true because while Town A might be in District A, all of the actual units in Town A are in District B.

Worst case scenario:

Attend events and training in the neighboring council; invite the neighboring council for Friends of Scouting (renamed something else if geography becomes an issue); keep your existing shoulder patches.

Stay registered with your old council, they will still get your registration $25, but nothing more.

Edited by JoeBob

Mozartbrau, did any other units switch districts?

I guess if one unit does it and is allowed to do it quietly, the impact will be minimal.  If you have a large number of units trying to move from District A to District B, there are going to be problems.  And if the district is THAT bad, why wouldn't ALL the units want to move?  So eventually you just have a "district" with apparently bad leadership and no units, and a district map that isn't really true because while Town A might be in District A, all of the actual units in Town A are in District B.

Two other BSA units and 2 cub units.

The other units don't move because 1) they belong to units that staff the district, so why leave the pond they're the big fish of, or 2) they don't use the district for anything and are not positively or negatively affected by the district.

Requesting a change of district or council happens a lot more than most realize because people are fickle and come up with all kinds of reasons to change. These request are rarely approved, but it does depend on the circumstances. 

Barry

Requesting a change of district or council happens a lot more than most realize because people are fickle and come up with all kinds of reasons to change. These request are rarely approved, but it does depend on the circumstances. 

Barry

Maybe I'll ask about this the next time I happen to be speaking with someone who would know.  If it does happen in my council, it is kept very quiet.

As an aside, if a unit wanted to switch councils in my area, I'm not sure where they would go.  The northern "half" of New Jersey (it's really less than half by area, but more than half by population) now has two councils, since the Central New Jersey Council was absorbed into neighboring councils.  (At one time there were probably more than 20 councils in the same area.)  I have no reason to believe that the "other" one is viewed by anyone as being significantly better (or significantly worse) than ours, and the "border" is a considerable distance from where I live.  So maybe it's partly because of geography that the idea of switching councils doesn't even come up.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Maybe I'll ask about this the next time I happen to be speaking with someone who would know.  If it does happen in my council, it is kept very quiet.

Approval is rare, so it likely hasn't been approved in your council. I'll give you an actual situation: Council with a weak OA program takes over a Council with a strong OA program. A few troops were not happy, so they asked to be moved to another Council that was actually closer. Requests were denied. 

Ask your friend how often these request come up. Even more interesting are the reasons they ask.

Barry

Maybe it's also a matter of perspective.  When you live in an area where one of the three councils simply "closed", presumably due to financial reasons, and all of the units had to find new homes in other councils (I'm not sure if they have officially redrawn the council boundaries yet), most people are probably happy to be in any council at all - to the extent they even think about the council, that is.

Maybe it's also a matter of perspective. 

It is certainly a matter of perspective. The giant problems for units are just everyday speed bumps for councils. So it really comes down to counseling units delicately so they don't feel ignored or belittled when they don't get what they want. Sometimes its just a matter of waiting it out for new unit leadership. 

Barry

This is to everybody:  Just a note on this new forum software, you need to be careful when you are "quoting" someone, to make sure your response ends up outside the "quote box" so it is clear who is saying what.  I have seen this several times now, where the response ends up inside the box. 

What do you mean by fiscally remain in the present council.. Seems somehow this is something where they want their cake and eat it too..

I am unsure they can do this, we have been trying to just switch a unit from one district to another because the school the scouts attend are in the other district with other scouts in the school belonging to the other district and they would like to go to the same district events, if you look at a map it also would make more sense they be in the other district as the one they are in swings out to scoop them up, we can't do it.

I think he meant physically, not fiscally. He meant they would still meet on the old council's geographic location, just belong to the neighboring council.

I said before, switching districts may be feasible. I just remembered how two little towns got absorbed by my district 30 years ago. The 6 units in the two towns had to go through my district in order to get to the rest of their district, It was just how the road infrastructure was built up.

But rarely will councils give up units or territory. Even when it geographically makes sense. The Lake Pontchatrain northshore in LA is more aligned to New Orleans than it is Baton Rouge. But it is in Istrouma, not New Orleans Area Council.  And there is a part of New Orleans Area Council that, in order to get to the council office, they have to drive through the other council in order to use the bridge that crosses the Mississippi River.