Eagle Rank, SM Conference and Drug Use

Late, but I'll put in my 2 cents as I just went through something similar. There's a thread on weed and summer camp for details. I'm not going to get upset and throw a kid out because a he made a mistake with grass. But I do want to see some growth, acknowledgement, or something that the scout knew he did something wrong and not that he just got caught. That's where I drew the line. The scout lost my trust in him when he broke the law and it was up to him to repair that. The scout's parents asked for a check list of things to do to gain back my trust and I said trust isn't gained by a simple check list.

I wasn't going to sign off on Eagle until I saw this. If some other SM wants to sign off or the scout wants to skirt around me and have the Council sign off, that's fine by me, but I don't have to condone bad behavior. The scout I had to work with left my troop for another. Now I can get back to working with scouts that want a good program.

I'd do something similar in your situation. If someone made me SM of a troop with that type of train wreck in the middle of it I'd say these are my rules and these are your options. Whether or not a scout peed in a cup every week has nothing to do with whether he realized he did something wrong and wanted to make it right.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my state, "dealing" is a felony. If this had happened in my unit, there would be no discussion of having SM conferences or EBORs. THey would be removed from the unit roster. Your CO decides who

Here in Washington State marijuana has been legalized by an initiative.     I'm expecting that liberal Scouters will soon be promoting a Marijuana Merit Badge....

Late, but I'll put in my 2 cents as I just went through something similar. There's a thread on weed and summer camp for details. I'm not going to get upset and throw a kid out because a he made a mist