Underserved Scouting: entitlement vs fundraising vs free stuff

• 4 months later...

I was asked to post an update. The bigger issue has turned out to be adult involvement. These kids have zero parental involvement, and I have not too much other adult involvement, so I don't even have time to coordinate fundraising. So instead lately I just buy everything for them, to borrow, not keep. Not sure whether that maks them feel entitled, but I really have no other option. 

• Upvote 1

I was asked to post an update. The bigger issue has turned out to be adult involvement. These kids have zero parental involvement, and I have not too much other adult involvement, so I don't even have time to coordinate fundraising. So instead lately I just buy everything for them, to borrow, not keep. Not sure whether that maks them feel entitled, but I really have no other option. 

Nothing wrong with having the boys do their own patrol fundraising.Not every fund raiser has to be some huge production with multiple moving parts.  Even if they only make a few bucks on a Saturday afternoon, that's still a few bucks more than they had Friday night.  A scout is Thrift - he earns his own way.  That can be a patrol activity and might even be fun.

Scouternetwork,

Do the boys seem appreciative of what is being done for them?

Are they doing what is asked of them?  (Including showing up to meetings, camping trips and service projects, if any?)

Do they seem to be benefiting from the program?

Are they having fun?

Do you feel like what you are doing is having a positive impact on the community?

These are the kinds of questions I would be asking myself if I were in your position.  If the answers to at least some of these questions are at least partially "yes" - with a little added weight perhaps being given to the first two - I would not concern myself very much with the "entitlement" aspect.  If this project is working out positively, there will come a time when you have more volunteers and you can do some fundraising.  Assuming the funding is in place from the donors you mentioned previously (and not coming out of your pocket) I think it is more important that these boys get the benefit of the program.  It sounds like, if left to their parents, these boys would never have a program like this.  Quite frankly, if the parents have a little time on their hands between doing what they need to do to survive, they should probably spend it taking English lessons - and I don't mean that the way it probably comes across.  I mean it for their own benefit.

• Upvote 1

to answer the immediate prior post from Moderator:

Yes to every one of those questions!

Re donors: actually none turned out. So it is largely from my pocket, which I don't mind in itself - I like giving to charity so I would rather give to my own endeavor than one run by someone else!

And yes the parents are in English classes in between trying to survive on minimum wage...

Well, good luck.

You are doing a lot more than I would be wqilling to do,  and I do a lot.

I have to wonder if Scouting is actually a distraction from other things these boys need to be doing.  I would expect boys insuch families to be spending their time studying or working to bring in what income they could for their families.

After eight years of rebuiolding a pack that was down to one boy,  I have the opportunity to get out with the hope that parents in the pack will keep the unit alive. It's unlikely you will have that option. 

I wish you the best,  but I wonder if what you are doing is really good Scouting.  It seems to me that part of Scouting is having boys and parents who take responsibility for the program, and you don't have that or any prospect for getting it.   But perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm all in favor of people conducting experiments in Scouting to see what can be done.  I hope your experiment proves to be rewarding and fruitful for the boys, parents and yourself.

Is there anyone else having anything like the same experience in your area?  Much that you describe is what a friend is going through running a combined troop and pack in the central district of Cleveland, Ohio.  If you could find someone like that, you could share ideas and resources - camp together.  Perhaps someone at your local council could direct you to such a person.

I've bad expereince with just giving stuff to scouts. I've seen folks donate money for equipment or outright give them equipment, and it was not taken care of. Heck my son's troop is having some issues with tents being damaged, and they did some fundraising to get them. I like having some skin in the game, whether is is traditional fundraising, i.e. popcorn, spaghetti dinners etc, or having them work events. I remember picking up garbage at one event every year, and that is what paid for me to stay in the troop and do campouts after my father walked out. I cut grass, picked up garbage. and was a ball boy at a tennis tourney.

I also like the idea of if you do receive a donation, you THANK THE DONOR!  One troop went Christmas caroling to  donors homes. To thank the CO, they would cut palms for the Palm Sunday services. Even a card is worthwhile.