STEM Scout pilot program

On 5/11/2015 at 9:54 AM, SlowDerbyRacer said:

A good overview of the differences between STEM in scouting and STEM Scouts.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/05/11/understanding-the-difference-between-stem-in-scouting-and-stem-scouts/

Is Stem Scouts as a separate scouting group officially gone?

I just noticed their website stemscouts.org certificate expired on 5/23/2023.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is my understanding that yes it is. One would think they would keep the domain and just forward it to scouting.org forever. The lab coats aren't on scoutshop.org any longer.  After I wrote the a

Here is an article on the STEM Scout pilot program the Great Smoky Mountain Council is running. This is a coed, 3rd-12th grade program, that focuses on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math  

Science, tech and math are and have always been part of scouting, but within the framework of the scouting methods. Camping, merit badges, etc... The onset of scouting was not to replicate school, nor

Posted Images

12 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Is Stem Scouts as a separate scouting group officially gone?

I just noticed their website stemscouts.org certificate expired on 5/23/2023.

It is my understanding that yes it is. One would think they would keep the domain and just forward it to scouting.org forever. The lab coats aren't on scoutshop.org any longer. 

After I wrote the above, I realized that it used to be on beascout.org and isn't there. I used the waybackmachine to see that sometime between April 2022 and August, the option to search for STEM Scouts was removed. 

image.thumb.png.6b95f251e5240e826ee3837b87ccfe31.png

Edited by mrjohns2
  • Thanks 2

It looks like this ill-fated program was rolled-out during my 15-year Scouting hiatus between the time I worked at my local council camp in college and when my son was old enough to join Cub Scouts.

I'm guessing the aftermath of the Global Financial Crisis put an emphasis on marketable degrees and the BSA (already suffering from membership declines), tried to prop themselves up by attaching themselves to the STEM movement? And people actually voted to turn Scouts into night school? 😂

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, BetterWithCheddar said:

And people actually voted to turn Scouts into night school?

Great point! Scouting is inversely proportional to "school like activities". The more scouting becomes like school, the fewer scouts we will have.