One adult at the PLC; how does that work with Youth Protection Guidelines?

Well, maybe you got me on that one. And I haven't actually been in a position to attend a PLC meeting since approximately 1975, which was before the YP guidelines were adopted. So, I am sure there are many of you out there who have the current Scoutmaster's Handbook, which I don't. Who does it say should attend a PLC meeting?

But assuming two adults are required, I would still say, that should be it. The kids don't need a crowd of adults at the meeting. It is almost inevitable that the adults will take over at some point.

NJ Cub Scouter, Troops work different ways, one answer does not fit all. The core of your post in the SPL is in charge, and the PLC is the "youth" body that runs the troop ... which is 100% correct.

It does appear that your somewhat out of date, take a Scoutmaster Specific training, if you've done it before look at it as a refresher. There's no shame it being behind the times, just in remaining that way.

We're actually discussing the JASM's role, which other than preparing the young man for the transition from youth to adult is not set in stone. Generally the JASM should function as an ASM.

You're also correct that adults can interfere with the PLC, and unless they can keep quiet need to be taken out of the room, the SM, or an invited guest, being the only exceptions.

You've got most of it right, but do keep in mind different troops will have slightly different ways of doing things, and even different SPL's.

I also have been away a couple years, but I think the rule is still no one adult with one scout, which is solved by multiple scouts in the meeting. The two adults is for camping. Has that changed? Barry

Well, maybe you got me on that one. And I haven't actually been in a position to attend a PLC meeting since approximately 1975, which was before the YP guidelines were adopted. So, I am sure there are many of you out there who have the current Scoutmaster's Handbook, which I don't. Who does it say should attend a PLC meeting?

But assuming two adults are required, I would still say, that should be it. The kids don't need a crowd of adults at the meeting. It is almost inevitable that the adults will take over at some point.

NJ! You just got BS'ed. Remember your lines "Show me where it's written ..."

Unless it is an overnight activity, one adult present at a meeting of multiple youth is in full compliance with YPT. (Key principle: no one-on-one contact.)

Q, unless of course the PLC decides to meet down at the park. Then it is an outing and requires two deep. If a patrol wanted to do the same thing they could without any adults or one adult if they so desired, but the PLC is clearly not capable of taking care of themselves. I just get all warm and fuzzy inside when reading this stuff.

In my unit, JASMs are former SPLs and generally Eagle Scouts who are close to aging out. We use it as a transition to being an adult leader. Two deep on outings and no one on one contact are two separate and distinct rules. Only the scoutmaster at a PLC meeting is keeping with the rules. It is mentioned in the Scoutmasters handbook. If anybody is interested I can find the page.

Yes, I left it alone a day or two because I thought someone else would answer. I also felt kind of bad that it sent the discussion on a different path. The two adult policy is probably the most misunderstood and misused BSA policy.

As for the JASMs, I sort of agree with Sentinal that the JASM is a good place for adult transition. But I had a few really good 15 year olds where the JASM position fit them best because they were such good all around scouting role models. As I said before, I don't focus on titles and POR so much for the olders scouts, I focus on putting them in situations of maximum growth. That is very difficult for the older scouts because most troops tend to focus on the younger scouts. But I believe the success of the younger scouts is directly related to the success of the older scouts. Barry

Yes' date=' I left it alone a day or two because I thought someone else would answer. I also felt kind of bad that it sent the discussion on a different path. The two adult policy is probably the most misunderstood and misused BSA policy.[/quote']

And it's written so plainly!