Project Not Approved Due to Lack of Time

Its a hard decision. They shouldn't have rejected the project due to the time limit, if the project could have been completed. But with the 5 Merit Badges left, they also have a duty not to "string the boy along". They approve the project, but then what? The boy won't earn eagle without the poorest, shadiest merit badge councilors signing off on some half-assed rush jobs. So maybe its best that the boy gets his "no" on the Eagle now. But he can still go ahead with the project for his own/troops growth, if he wants to complete it. Any odds that will happen?
"The boy won't earn eagle without the poorest, shadiest merit badge councilors signing off on some half-assed rush jobs"

Maybe not. In 2 years my son has accumulated 4 partials that require some simple, but incomplete, activity to complete. (Motorboating - 'Look up the regs for your state'). Since I'm his SM, I try extra hard not to helicopter him; he can finish those MBs when he gets motivated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether or not he has time to complete the project is the Scout's problem, and shouldn't be grounds for disapproval. Bad call.   While completing the project before his birthday has a nice ring to

Its a hard decision. They shouldn't have rejected the project due to the time limit, if the project could have been completed. But with the 5 Merit Badges left, they also have a duty not to "string the boy along". They approve the project, but then what? The boy won't earn eagle without the poorest, shadiest merit badge councilors signing off on some half-assed rush jobs. So maybe its best that the boy gets his "no" on the Eagle now. But he can still go ahead with the project for his own/troops growth, if he wants to complete it. Any odds that will happen?
The tough part is making it clear to a boy (and in this case the parent) that it's a good project but his chance of Eagle even if he completes it are slim. The hard part about a BOR giving the go-ahead is that the main reason is to ensure the project is appropriate for rank advancement and that nothing is overlooked that might prevent the boy from completing the project for the purposes of rank advancement. If the board now has project plan, but advancement is effectively off the table, why does the boy need their approval?

Age 18 is a tough time. It's hard to finish what you start because life is changing so fast. If advancement was the only thing pushing this boy to complete the project, maybe the most thoughtful thing to do is help a boy see the writing on the wall and not start what he'd likely not finish.

This is one hornets' nest I am running with my life away from. I'm friends with both mom and dad, and I aint asking anymore questions form them.

I'm going straight to the horse's mouth, the Life for Life Scouter, next time I see him, to find out what happened

JoeBob,

My oldest was in that same boat--several partials. He completed two of them fairly quickly after he realized that he could get an EBOR before Christmas.