I agree it is poor form, however - it goes on probably more than you would think. I have attended district and council dinners (adult award / pat me on the back / see my nifty kilt I made to go with my adult scouter wanna-be 3rd world general uniform). Several had scouts (both Eagles and non) in attendance as color guard and buffet servers / busboy type taks. They have had a cash bar at some / others have been 'dry' (non-alcohol) events. Additionally, our council has at least one to two Scouts night at the Padres games.... they serve alcohol at the stadium. Some of the scouters have a beer, others do not. While I think it was ppor form, I don;t see a huge issue with it (even if it was a 'scout function') because presumably every scout there was under the direction / care of his own parent / guardian. Same as at the baseball game. I don;t condone it, but I don't see a big deal about it. The big deal comes in when you have a scouter that is responsible for scouts under his / her care and they choose to consume alcohol. I agree its best to leave the booze alone anytime there is youth around, but you going to a dinner with your family and having a drink is no different than doing so when you go out to a regular restaraunt, IMHO. Beer at summer camp, adults drinking on a unit campout an then driving kids home, I see as a much bigger deal. Its poor form, but in the gray area of G2SS. heck, maybe they should have it for the FOS presentations.... it would make them more bearable, and likely increase the donations :) Dean

• Upvote 2

Bad form under the guises of Scouting.... probably.

But I think a lot depends on contexts...... Kids are around it......We're Catholic and drink at almost all church functions! I think for us if it's a kid focus thing, booze is left out..... but I'm imagining an evening social thing as described.... my guess is that the kids didn't notice.

I've seen something new....actually twice now. Kid of a similar thing. I think actually looks worse. Once at our recent University of Scouting a leader form another unit, and again on a pack overnighter with one of our leaders. I think it's called "Vaping" or some such thing...... it's a little pipe/cigarette thing hanging on a neck lanyard, and they are puffing away on this thing like a cigarette. I just found it in bad form, and almost said something to the leaders both times.... but in both cases youth weren't present.

I know there's a rule about tobacco, but this aint tobacco!

That is an e-cigarette. Nicotine without the other bad ingredients. I think California is trying to ban their use everywhere that smoking is prohibited. Other states will likely follow suit, which is just fine by me. IMHO, it is no better than tobacco use (it is still nicotine), and has no place in Scouting. The same goes for alcohol. Full disclosure- I do drink. I like tequila, and I brew my own beer. But it is specifically prohibited at Scout functions according to G2SS. End of story.

• Upvote 1
SSScout -

The organizers didn't pay for the drinks. The attendees paid for the open bar and tickets cost a great deal of money. There was a discounted price for current unit members, everyone else paid much more. It cost me close to $400 to bring part of my family to this party. There was no choice given as to whether you wanted to pay extra for an open bar as is done at my company holiday party (I would have declined). It was a scout event honoring the unit, not any individual members. It was billed as a celebration of the unit, there was a glossy magazine with the history of the unit and advertisements. People were expecting a scout event.

I guess I just find it hypocritical.

Okay, Cash Bar and Open Bar are two different things in my dictionary, but never mind that. It was billed as a "Scout" event, Scout youth were in attendance and by good sense, BSA policy and public decorum, the event should have been non-alcoholic.

At our Quaker Meeting, we receive many requests to use our Meeting House and Community House for private parties (retirement parties, weddings, receptions, etc.) and when they hear our policy of no alcohol AT ALL, the askers often back off, no matter how picturesque or inepensive it might be. Too bad, so sad.

I agree it is poor form, however - it goes on probably more than you would think. I have attended district and council dinners (adult award / pat me on the back / see my nifty kilt I made to go with my adult scouter wanna-be 3rd world general uniform). Several had scouts (both Eagles and non) in attendance as color guard and buffet servers / busboy type taks. They have had a cash bar at some / others have been 'dry' (non-alcohol) events. Additionally, our council has at least one to two Scouts night at the Padres games.... they serve alcohol at the stadium. Some of the scouters have a beer, others do not. While I think it was ppor form, I don;t see a huge issue with it (even if it was a 'scout function') because presumably every scout there was under the direction / care of his own parent / guardian. Same as at the baseball game. I don;t condone it, but I don't see a big deal about it. The big deal comes in when you have a scouter that is responsible for scouts under his / her care and they choose to consume alcohol. I agree its best to leave the booze alone anytime there is youth around, but you going to a dinner with your family and having a drink is no different than doing so when you go out to a regular restaraunt, IMHO. Beer at summer camp, adults drinking on a unit campout an then driving kids home, I see as a much bigger deal. Its poor form, but in the gray area of G2SS. heck, maybe they should have it for the FOS presentations.... it would make them more bearable, and likely increase the donations :) Dean
Dean, good thoughts and I really got a kick out of your FOS suggestion! A beverage would be helpful!