Updates to youth protection training

Moose;

Many, maybe most of these type of situations are pretty much things the unit will need to deal with through their committee and/or sponsor, as they are usually very ambiguous and subjective. Ultimately, it still is the our responsibility as a leader to try to recognize possible problems with interactions and find solutions. Never ignore a boy's complaint; but make sure you do not jump to a conclusion either. Of course, if you have a number of similar concerns from others, it needs to dealt with. And on occasion, that could mean a difficult decision. But we need to make them when needed; otherwise, we are not doing our best.

Very true, which is why the MBC was handled within the unit. But, the SM had to be handled outside or not at all. They had an "Friends of" for CO.. And that was in name only, no one really did the job. The SM was a charmer, those whose kids he showered in extra attention loved his methods and practically treated him as a saint. He had got his Silver Beaver by having parents during the scout meeting organizing all his work that he then presented. He was a big wig of the Council and put on an air that he was even more then that, had all the answers and was always right. The parents with scouts who were "unworthy" feared that due to his perceived position, no one in the council would pay attention to him.. Most just left.. I know of two who stayed and tried to earn their Eagle in spite of being on the "wrong" list.. One almost didn't make it. Age 18 he had done all that National required, (including the fact his BOR's would always be extra hard and grueling in order to turn him down.) The one troop requirement he couldn't get. Per troop rules he had to be SPL and the SM choose the group of scouts that were "worthy" of consideration for the position.. Surprise, Surprise.. He never made the cut. He finally got the SM to reluctantly sign his paperwork by his father threatening to go to council to complain over the procedure.. So he got through, but unfortunately he was not one of the verbal complaints.. The other one was younger and so did not get to the 18 yo cutoff before the SM was removed. He made his Eagle but barely due to the extra hurdles he had to endure, plus the verbal abuse of the SM telling him how worthless he was, and promising him he would make sure he never made Eagle..

The question was why do scouts and parents stay with an abusive troop. I understand wanting to continue with scouts.. These scouts, as my son probably saw the Eagle rank as a goal due to this SM telling them over and over how unworthy and unqualified they were, and how they would never make it.. For my son, we moved him to a different troop so he could ENJOY his time in scouting, while working to prove this person wrong.. For these two boys they felt the need to make Eagle under the abuse of this SM, as if going to a different troop was cheating.. Many boys and parents just dropped out with the abuse. Some also moved to other troops.. But at least two other parents had the guts to report the SM's actions.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My YPT training for the youth is quite simple. If ANYONE makes you feel uncomfortable about anything, tell an adult. If it's another scout, tell the SM/ASM or any other adult leader. If it's one of

Fred – You didn’t start the twist, dcsimmons took us down this curve. Most likely inevitable for about six more months until those frightened by this change settle down to the fact that little will change. About the Catholic vs BSA youth protection. I was always told that the Catholic Church took the BSA YPT as a model, I was disappointed when I saw the Catholic version.. It was a poor interpretation.. Again check out the videos.. One was titled “A Time to Tell†not sure if that was the BS or the CS one.

Eagledad – “That doesn't mean the BSA is more of a risk with gay molesters than other youth centered organizations, but it certainly isn't less either.â€Â

True Eagledad, but the gay molesters will be a fraction of those that are married (with/without kids), divorced, or single heterosexuals. Again, molesters are not aroused by the sex (boy or girl) but on overpowering someone weaker then themselves. Most are neither homosexual or heterosexual, but they take on a backstory that is least suspicious.. That will not be those who backstory is of an openly homosexual person.

Again, Moose, the issue is what do you mean by "molester." If you mean only pedophiles, then you are correct, sex selection isn't prevalent because there's no sexual development in the victim.

If you mean any person who forces themself on a minor, then sex selection becomes the norm for pubescent victims.

Stating that fact does not equal an implication on my part that homosexuals are inherently abusers, and your BSA quote has nothing to do with what I said.

Whether the adult is 18 or 68, if the pubescent (sexually developed/ing) minor is the same sex as the adult, then the adult is engaged in a homosexual sex act, and if the adult is exclusively attracted to the same sex, that person is a homosexual. That is what homosexual means.

The rest of your post is you putting thoughts in my head that have never been there because you don't like what I have to say--I have no illusions about closeted homosexuals already being in Scouting, and I have no false sense of security based on illusions I do not have. Your attempt to paint me as someone afraid of the gay pedophile boogeyman highlights your continuing inability to understand what a pedophile is: I am not worried about gay pedophiles because most Boy Scouts are pubescent, they are not attractive to pedophiles.

So, stick to what I have actually said and stay away from attempting to apply tropes to me.

The Online BSA Youth Protection is still exactly the Same it was Last year, nothing has changed. I Find it interesting that the State of Texas requires Youth Protection for all Camp Staff or Adult Attendees( Working or Attending more than 72) in the State for Camps ..Boy Scout, Girl Scout, Football, Soccer, Band..They use the BSA Youth Protection Video..They just require it to be taken Face to Face. Once your Trained you can Administer the test..They Stop the Video at Certain Points and Class Discusses the Situation...and Test is a Written Test and your Required 70% to pass...( answers are the same as the Online BSA Video Test)

Ahhhhhhh The Discussion about Youth Protection transgresses into a Homophobic discussion instead of The Program itself.

Of all the Child Molesters I have encountered over the Last 10 Years 10 Months in as a Correctional Officer for Texas Department of Criminal Justice Institutional Division in a Maximum Security Prison, I have yet to encounter 1 that was involved with Boy Scouts of America...They have been Teachers, Policemen, Firemen, Doctors, Lawyers, Sport Coaches....Very Very Few have been unrelated to the Victim. 99% are Heterosexual and Usually Married..

Awake up and pay attention of whats going on around ya. Take the Blinders off, view the Whole picture not just what ya want to see.

When a man molests a boy, it by definition involves homosexual acts. That the molester claims to be herterosexual does not make it so.