At least this is a fun uniform question........(leader question)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not a uniform tzar, really I'm not.   Ok, maybe a little for leaders (set a good example, and all).   My question concerns how far the "once uniform, always uniform" rule of thumb can be t

Not a stretch at all. She should go for it, and be prepared to explain a little bit of scouting history along the way.   I was pleaseed to visit another troop's court of honor and there saw one bo

If she looks hot in it, why not ?

Egad!!!!

Bretley, I think you now understand the concept of 'unintended consequences'. Even WORSE, right after the first post and before I saw the following ones, I was thinking along the same lines....photos to follow? (jpstodwftexas, don't even think about it)

Not a stretch at all. She should go for it, and be prepared to explain a little bit of scouting history along the way.

I was pleaseed to visit another troop's court of honor and there saw one boy in a uniform from the 50's. I didn't ask if it was grandpa's or a find on E-bay. It looked sharp ant the boy wore it well.

grandpa's shakin my head
Egad!!!!

Bretley, I think you now understand the concept of 'unintended consequences'. Even WORSE, right after the first post and before I saw the following ones, I was thinking along the same lines....photos to follow? (jpstodwftexas, don't even think about it)

ha!

I expected nothing less from this crowd, as I've said I've been a lurker for some time.

Even if not, This sounds like campfire talk after the youth has vacated anyhow.

actual follow-up post to follow.

First pack meeting was last night, wife's uniform went over better than expected (outside 'one issue', but.......), the boys all thought it was "cool" the other leaders (minus the 'one issue') all applauded her dedication and creativity.

There are plenty of pictures, I haven't gotten any back to me yet, but I'll share them as they come up.

Thanks guys for the kind words, I shared them with her as she was sewing patched on her uniform (even KDD's).

One of the nice things about the vintage uniforms is getting the insignia correct. Technically scouts should be putting the green numbers and epaulettes on the centennial uniform. Those tan shirts that are the 1970 - 2011 should still use the red.

When I wear the 1950/1960 uniform it has the community strip instead of council strip on it to be correct.

When I have a boy wanting to wear the historical uniform, I go so far as to get historical patches for rank and POR off Ebay.

Makes it a challenge, but it's a lot of fun too.

Stosh

A few comments

1)Great Pic! My wife, just like yours, hates the current and previous uniforms. So I got her the same uniform.

2) As noted, insignia can be a PITA. Ebay is your friend as well as collectors. One collector, when he found out what I was doing gave me a state strip and a repro of the city strip

In regards to insignia

3) World Crest was restricted prior to August 1 1989. You had to earn it by either going overseas on a scout function or hosting foreign scouts for a week or longer. When I got wife's uniform, I didn'r include it.

4) You want the fully embroidered numbers, that may be tricky.

5) American Flag wasn't worn on uniform until 1970s/80s.

6) Want the Den Mother patch or other vintage POR patch. Which may be intersting b/c ladies were restricted inthe position they could hold.

7) hat is the ladies version of the garrison cap

8) Need the yellow ladies' tie.

If you PM, I can send you the info on the uniform I have and may have some spare uniform items.

ar ar ar (seal of approval) for Mrs. Bretly 8-)

Eagle92 - all Trans Atlantic Council members got the World Crest just for being there pre 1989 (I got mine even before Bobcat),

and I think TAC hands out more Interpreter Strips than any other council as well ;-)

Most "Vintage" thing I wear is my Stetson smokey bear campaign hat with a small Fleur de Lis pin 8-)

Berliner,

Far East also passed the WCs out too. One of my friends had one from his CS days on his uniform when he joined the troop.

I can tell you we had a busload of ticked off Scouts when out contingent leaders told us in the middle of our Canada trip that BSA now allowed everyone to wear the WC( that's how I remember the exact date of the policy change). At least our leaders made it up to us by buying the Canadian ones which are on a velvet background.