World Scout Neckerchief Day

Eagle92, The BSA is not part of the Netherlands scouting association last I checked so your rebuttal is irrelevant. Neckers in all reality are a obsolete scouting artifact of the past that really serves no real purpose this day and age. Those who want to wear them that's fine but for an unofficial scouting event lets put your nostalgia behind you and concentrate on your units program which is where our efforts should be focused. World Neckerchief Day? time for a reality check.
I'm not quite sure what the monarchy has to do with it (which for the record I think we should get rid of) however I can assure you quite categorically that it was the kids themselves that protested and wanted to keep them. Similarly the Girl Guides have actually re introduced them in recent years by popular request having gone through a period where they didn't have them. Again at the request of the girls. It's the same across nearly the whole scouting world.

I'd like to see the uniform simplified and a necker and a uniform t-shirt for the outdoors would be fine. I think the scouts would go the way of the British and accept a simple shirt with a necker. For indoors, either a t-shirt or a scout shirt with all the pockets and epaulettes removed would be cheaper and easier to sew on patches, not to mention it would just look less formal. Formal is fine at Courts of honor, but not in the outdoors. I suspect the main reason for the formality is for adults to show their bling.

I remember when the last round of shirts came out and they went on and on about how scouts could use the pockets for their mp3 players. The scouts still put them in their pants because that's what they do outside of scouts (mainly so they can change songs without reaching up to their shoulder).

• Upvote 1
I'd like to see the uniform simplified and a necker and a uniform t-shirt for the outdoors would be fine. I think the scouts would go the way of the British and accept a simple shirt with a necker. For indoors, either a t-shirt or a scout shirt with all the pockets and epaulettes removed would be cheaper and easier to sew on patches, not to mention it would just look less formal. Formal is fine at Courts of honor, but not in the outdoors. I suspect the main reason for the formality is for adults to show their bling.

I remember when the last round of shirts came out and they went on and on about how scouts could use the pockets for their mp3 players. The scouts still put them in their pants because that's what they do outside of scouts (mainly so they can change songs without reaching up to their shoulder).

mp3 pocket? I thought that's were the cigarettes went!