Guest OldGreyEagle

Pounder, I think the LDS kids listen to a similar band, the music is just as loud but the lyrics are toned down, they are known as the Taut-Line Hitches

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Eammon, OGE, Bob, TP

For supposedly long time scouters you really don't seem to know very much. In the forum on religion I have seen you insult people who do not agree with you in a cold and vile attack. I think all of you should re- read the Scout Oath and Law because you sure don't live by them. I feel sorry for the boys that are exposed to your loathsome prejudice and ridiculous ideologies. It is too bad that any scouting unit feels the need to rely on any of your assistance. If anyone has any fear about the future of Scouting they should start with people like yourselves, and may God have mercy. To all the rest of you in these forums, most of these so called old pros are inactive in scouting for obvious reasons, so ignore their insults. Don't be afraid to express dissenting opinions cuz these guys don't know squat.

BadenP, Hold on there partner...Eamonn and OGE have been quite polite and tolerant, at least for all the reading I've done. I think you're being unfair to them. Bob doesn't like for persons to speak for him so I won't - Ok, I will a little...but although he seems gruff, I think he's well-meaning. TP, well, doesn't seem to like me very much but that's his right. I'm young. I'll get over it.

Boleta you said

"An organization that does not evolve with changing times will fail to survive."

YOU ARE SOOOOO WRONG! An Organization is NOT a business. A business must change according to supply and demand but an organization such as B.S.A has CORE beliefs. As does the United States of America. (which has the constitution.) And although the constitution can be amended; our founding fore-fathers made it such a pain in the butt most amendments would never occur. I am curious to hear your story. It is getting to be apparent we do not see eye to eye on core matters such as these. The United States is the MOST Powerful nation in the world because our constitution is so brief. It gives man rights endowed by God. These CORE beliefs are our strength....they are the sinew that binds this country as a whole body. Thus, if the B.S.A changes the B.S.A will be no more! Mothers and Fathers put there kids in Scouts to help them strengthen the core values they're also trying to teach their children. I don't wanna see my boy saying look daddy it's gay pride day at camp. Or look dad they were passing out condoms at scouts tonight.

BadenP, this will most likely sound like an insincere welcome, but nevertheless, welcome to the forums.

I re-read the "True Religion" and "A Scout Is Reverent" threads, wondering how the people you named were so rude. One didn't even post in those threads, and that's the one I have found to be blunt to the point of being rude. Those who did post weren't -- IMO anyway -- harsh. But I could be reading the wrong threads.

I have the opportunity to be helped in some significant ways from Bob, OGE, and Eamonn as a new Scouter, and the advice they have provided has proven solid. It in turn has helped our unit to grow, and as our DE said at a fairly recent roundtable "to go from folding to strong". Each has encouraged me to use the resources available, to stick with the Scout Oath and Law in various situations, and has stressed the importance of working with local volunteers and professionals rather than relying on their words/ideas or the forums in general.

Within this thread, is there something said that you believe to be incorrect? If so, what would your advice be?

Heck, I don't even have two years in yet and I pass for an old timer that doesn't do much. I just have to say there Mr. Youth Pastor, you have a big chip, no boulder, on your shoulder, that you ought to shake off first. How old are you?

SHAKE IT OFF!!! BE REAL!!!!

Trail Pounder, no by blunt I mean very direct--and it was a poor way to say it for it ended up offending you. I am sorry for that. And touche--I write too much for I find it hard to say anything direct without offending others, but apparently length of posts is offensive in itself.

BadenP, that's too bad because the advice you gave is advice you apparently haven't taken -- at least not in the post publicly naming and criticizing other Scouters.

BadenP,

I spent 11 years as an enlistedman in the Army. A Regular in the Regular Army. I've been insulted, degraded, manhandled, shot at and missed, and had some wall-to-wall counseling sessions with some of our nation's best NonCommissioned Officers. There's nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, that a failed DE, youth pastor, can bring at me that's going to cause me to lose any sleep. LOL!!!

Use your professional contacts and find someone to talk to.

Laurie, NO, I'm not offended. NO, the lengths of your posts are not offensive. I was just commenting that maybe sometimes I think I get my point across in short order. Sometimes, it doesn't. Way too many people get offended and outraged over way too many things these days. I'm just happy to be here. The kids are all happy and healthy, business is booming, I pay more taxes than youth pastors make, We're going sailing and camping next week, got Cards tickets for the 24th....Life is good.

Jason OK

But BSA is changing. There are women Scoutmasters. The uniform has changed. The requirements have changed... When the membership has dwindled and we can't attract the numbers, it will change again.

So your point is...?

BadenP,

I earned Eagle in 1969. I was a Cubmaster, ASM, Troop MC and now a Venture Advisor. I am a District Chairman and our district got Quality District 4 years in a row, thanks mostly to the hard work of our DE and a terrific District Committee. I am a James West Fellow.

I have learned a tremendous amount from the forums. I disagree a lot with some of the opinions but have found most of the advice to be right on target.

I have been amused with your posts because they have reacted violently to the opinions of the well established commentors of the forum. I haven't seen anyone react quite as negatively as you have and I have been in the minority of opinions in a lot of the discussions.

I think you should really try to make a stronger effort to be civil as you did recently on some of the other threads. You destroy your credibility when you attack, attack, attack.