Cost vs. worth vs. value vs. VALUES

I think there are a couple of issues:

Parents nowadays don't camp. Why would they want their kid involved in something that they don't have any knowledge?

I think Scouting has focused marketing on the wrong part of the organization. Kids don't join Scouting because it teaches values. Kids join becaause they want to go camping, hiking, scuba diving, etc. The values marketing needs to be subliminal so the parents understand, but the outdoor adventure needs to be theit primary marketing if they want kids to join. It's easier to get a kid interested and have them drag the parent along than it is to get a parent interested and them force the kid to get involved.

Are you a Troop volunteer Was61?

Your comment "Also, if you play sports for recreation, you can jump in an out as you wish. Scouting isn't rec....you don't see kids bounce in and out....it's club ball."

Our Boys in our troop rountinely pick up Scouting and then put it back down for Sports or the like. Kids are "bouncing" in and out all the time, and we welcome that.

I've seen some band kids bounce in and out...mostly Marching Band kids. Mine is slowly getting back in Scouting after his first MB season.

The serious sports kids can play year round here (though I don't let mine, I'm a firm believer in heal time between seasons), so most of those vanish once serious interest peaks.

I think we are missing a vary valid point here. How many scout scholarships are there? How many professional scouters making millions of dollars per year? None.

My thought is, scouts doesn't potentially pay for college or turn into a lucritive pro career, thus it takes a back seat to those activities that have the big payday potential. No matter how realistic or unrealistic that potential nght be.

Band and sports, heck even theatre can payoff in scholarship $$ and for a select few, turn into a high paying career w/ fame. I don't see that happening with scouting.

Dean