Historic Tidbit - Summer Camps Past

As I was doing some of my research I was reminded of summer camps of old. I wonder how many of us remember those days. Even when I was a kid, most Scouts didn't go to summer camp with their troop. In fact, most troops didn't go to summer camp as a troop. In our town, you got all the paperwork from your troop, then signed up for the week or weeks you wanted with the council office. In the early days of the BSA, most Scout camps operated this way, with a large staff of what we would consider provisional troops.

Of course, the kids got the benefit of the skills and fun of summer camp, and the adults got the benefit of staying home :) , but it didn't benefit the troop in the way today's Scout camps do. It's true that some troops ran their own summer camp, but then they missed out on the interaction with other troops. Sometimes, not everything about the "good old days" was better than today.

I believe there were/are good and bad things about all of the methods. It is the same kind of argument if a Summer Camp has a dining hall versus patrol cooking versus individual cooking. People benefit/miss from each of the ways. For me the question is, did an individual reach the intended goals of Scouting through their personal experience(s)?

As a youth, each Summer Camp was a highlight for me. I attended two different camps with the Troop and we planned and carried out two Summer Camps as a Troop. I also traveled one Summer to Philmont with a provisional unit. Each year was exciting, different and each one gave me gifts I didn't expect. Although I try to thank people, I can't remember if I did but I was always grateful. I certainly benefited and it was because of all of the adults that willingly supported us in so many ways. Those memories are vivid and important to me even to this day.

FB

It's true that a troop Philmont or Jambo trip would be good for the unit, but most units wouldn't be able to pull it off. The reservation problem for Philmont is sure to be a difficult obstacle, but transportation, training and equipping are big considerations, too. A partial solution is that boys tend to go in groups to both, so usually there are groups of kids from a unit that may go, or at least pairs.