Summer camp Venturing programs

Howdy, all.

I'm looking for names and locations of good Venturing summer camp programs. I'm not trying to put together a comprehensive list, but if you know of a camp with a superb program - one customized for Venturers, and not just a retooled or slightly edited Boy Scout program - I'd love to hear of it.

Enclosed is the website for the Swift Base on the S bar F Scout Ranch near Farmington, Missouri. It is a Venture Base operated by the Greater St Louis Area Council. It was established as the Swift Explorer Base in 1966 when the Ranch opened. It is not a "retooled scout camp". Great camp for Ventures, hard working staff and great programs!

http://stlbsa.org/Camping/Summer+Camps/Venturing/?WBCMODE=PreJoinUsDetailsJoinUsDetailsJoinUsDetailsJoinUsDetailsJoinUsDetailsJoinUsDetailsJoinUsDetails

Goshen Scout Reservation has a Road to Ranger program that runs 2 weeks where a Venturer can earn the Outdoor Bronze and do most of the requirements for the Ranger award.

The web site says they running it again in 2009.

I dont know much about this program as I heard about it from a Venturing Leader(actually a Sea Scout Skipper)from the National Capital Area Council.

You have brought up an interesting,and rather complex, subject. One of my assignments for many years has been leading visitation teams for resident camps in my area.Our team was assigned to visit a large multiple-camp reservation offering a Venturing summer camp a couple years after Venturing began.The council had organized more advanced activities in its existing program areas in one of its camps for these crews.It was somewhat difficult to evaluate, since the standards didn't have specific sections for Venturing programs,as it did for Cub Scout and Boy Scout programs.We decided to use sections of both the resident standards and high adventure standards to evaluate that camp.

I don't know if there is a list that covers what you are interested in.I could think of some possible resources at the national and regional offices.I'll see what I can learn.

Checking the calenders of the Regional Venturing websites may help you. I know I add such events to the Southern Region one. There are about a half dozen such events I have heard of in our region. And there are probably twice as many I haven't.

One of my potential sources was regional staff and websites.In the Western Region we have had an annual booklet with details on council camps and their programs,which is now on their website.I'd expect the other regions may have similar lists.

I'll also make contact with some staff from the (former) Venturing Division as possible sources.

I've got a few moments to write today.

Our Venturing camp is targeted at HS kids who have had a long school year. It's been designed to give them room to blow off some steam in constructive environments.

Of course, the camp is open, to include COPE and climbing, ranges, pool and lakefront, hikes and bike rides. The first day of camp, there are big sign-up boards in the dining hall. Youth figure out what they want to do, then build their own schedules to make it happen. The schedule is real simple: There are all-morning activities, all-afternoon activities, or all-day activities.

Evening activities include pool parties, a dance, and a talent show.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

The Bay-Lakes Council in eastern Wisconsin has a fantastic summer camp high adventure program for Venturers and Venturing-age youth called Wolf River Adventures.

It's run separately from the summer camp program and involves four options: 1) Sea Kayaking and bike touring in Door County, 2) a wilderness canoe trip on the Flambeau River, 3) experience-appropriate river kayaking on the famous Wolf, Peshtigo and Red rivers and a 4th adventure that includes an overnight mountain biking trip, rock climbing and rappelling, COPE, black powder shooting and more.

Here's the flyer.

http://www.baylakesbsa.org/council/files/UpcomingEventsPDFs/2009VenturingProgramsInsert.pdf

I am taking my new Crew this summer to Swift Base out of the Greater St. Louis Council, Mo. I went with another crew from our area in 2007. Great Staff and programs! The Council also has a wonderfull Fall Fun Rally in September! Our crew is from Illinois by the way!

I am taking my new Crew this summer to Swift Base out of the Greater St. Louis Council, Mo. I went with another crew from our area in 2007. Great Staff and programs! The Council also has a wonderfull Fall Fun Rally in September! Our crew is from Illinois by the way!

• 1 month later...

Hello, my name is Jonathan Wood and I am the Program Director for Road to Ranger, a week long program at Sid Richardson Scout Ranch near Bridgeport, TX

Road to Ranger is a Venturing only summer camp that was designed by venturers for venutrers. It is based around the bronze and Ranger awards. Many people have called it a Powderhorn for youth. Venturers are able to earn at least 4 of the core and two of the electives, if they want to earn more they can do that as well. We have some of the best trained staff in venturing, many of which are venturers themselves. Each venturing crew that comes to this camp has a choice of many treks that vary in difficuly, and are lead by trek leaders that are trained in leave no trace, cooking, Land Nav, and many other areas to make sure that crews have a good time.

This program is not just for full crews, we also acomodate individuals that wish to be part of the program. We call the Lone Venturing program, Lone venturers that come by themselves without a crew are placed with a trek that follows what they want to achive and gets to know other people from around the country.

There is a lot mor to know about this program and if you would like to know more then go to www.roadtoranger.org or http://www.longhorncouncil.org/camp/venture/road_to_ranger.htm

Thanks for looking at us for your Venturing Summer Camp.

Hello, my name is Jonathan Wood and I am the Program Director for Road to Ranger, a week long program at Sid Richardson Scout Ranch near Bridgeport, TX

Road to Ranger is a Venturing only summer camp that was designed by venturers for venutrers. It is based around the bronze and Ranger awards. Many people have called it a Powderhorn for youth. Venturers are able to earn at least 4 of the core and two of the electives, if they want to earn more they can do that as well. We have some of the best trained staff in venturing, many of which are venturers themselves. Each venturing crew that comes to this camp has a choice of many treks that vary in difficuly, and are lead by trek leaders that are trained in leave no trace, cooking, Land Nav, and many other areas to make sure that crews have a good time.

This program is not just for full crews, we also acomodate individuals that wish to be part of the program. We call the Lone Venturing program, Lone venturers that come by themselves without a crew are placed with a trek that follows what they want to achive and gets to know other people from around the country.

There is a lot mor to know about this program and if you would like to know more then go to www.roadtoranger.org or http://www.longhorncouncil.org/camp/venture/road_to_ranger.htm

Thanks for looking at us for your Venturing Summer Camp.