Camp staff Venturing crews

OGE - Why would they wear Boy Scout shorts with a Venturing shirt when there are Venturing shorts available?

(I'm not trying to reignite a past debate, but just understand the logic there. It doesn't seem like there's much.)

=====

Follow-up question: Who are the advisors of these crews - a senior member of staff, the camp director, ranger, program director?

I do know that our scout camp does have staff as a crew. On the other hand, our cub resident staff does not. They must all be registered in a unit back home, but they are not a crew. The girls who serve on staff are in crews back home. they have a staff uniform that consists of the scout uniform except the shirt is replaced with a red polo staff shirt. Making staff into a crew is more about inflating venturing numbers than anything else.

Councils do inflate these numbers. Go to www.scouting.org/venturing/venturinglocator.aspx and plug in your zip code to see the "crews" registered in your area. Ever heard of 80% of these crews? Probably not. At least that is true in my council where some organizations are listed twice, every JROTC is listed and even the county juvenile detention center is listed. I'm involved enough in my council to know these are paper units with people registered who are totally unaware.

"Councils do inflate these numbers. Go to www.scouting.org/venturing/venturinglocator.aspx and plug in your zip code to see the "crews" registered in your area. Ever heard of 80% of these crews? Probably not."

Well, the issue of 'paper crews' is different then camp staff crews.

Many councils, right or wrong, will register several groups as 'venturing crews'. Usually the excuse is insurance, use of camp facilities or the like. These may be JROTC crews, various high school clubs, and the like.

They are real groups and real kids. BUT, are they real venturing crews? Well, are the kids aware they are now a Venturing crew? (probably not) Do they participate in the Venturing program? (probably not, so forget about them coming to your venturing events or doing the venturing program, etc)

It's one thing to have a church youth group (or APO Chapter) or similiar group also be a Venturing crew, with the full knowledge that they are, in fact, a Venturing crew and plan on participating, at some level, with the BSA or Venturing program.

It's another to sign up a group as a venturing crew just for insurance purposes or to allow the use of the camp, but the members have no idea they are now members of the BSA and make no use of the program.

"Why would they wear Boy Scout shorts with a Venturing shirt when there are Venturing shorts available?"

The usual "reason" is the people in question are probably already Boy Scouts and thus already have a pair (or several pair) of Boy Scout Shorts, so why force them to spend extra to get charcoal gray shorts? (btw, you don't have to get the pants/shorts from national supply).

What about those few who weren't Boy Scouts and don't have Boy Scout shorts? Oh, well, there are usually too few of them to worry about...

shortridge,

Have you seen the garbage sackcloth BSA Supply Corporation uses for Venturing shorts? Loose weave garbage!

We have a Cabela's here. EagleSon's Crew goes there to buy grey shorts and grey trousers. Darn things wear like iron.

That said, I think some of the two-tone green is a remnant from the "Leadership Corps" days of the 70s/80s. I know a Council camp staff which does it.

What I like personally is what one of our camps does: They make their own staff epaulets from various patriotic grosgrain ribbons!

(Note to self: Include a set of those tomorrow!)

"We have a Cabela's here. EagleSon's Crew goes there to buy grey shorts and grey trousers. Darn things wear like iron."

Have a Bass ProShop here. They have similiar stuff. I usually get my shorts on sale, and have yet to wear any out. I have one pair of the 'official' shorts and hate them.

"That said, I think some of the two-tone green is a remnant from the "Leadership Corps" days of the 70s/80s. I know a Council camp staff which does it."

I would agree. There are some on our Council Camping Committee who wear green because of that. And I occasionally run into scouters who were in the older Leadership Corps and still wear forest green even tho they aren't in venturing.

"What I like personally is what one of our camps does: They make their own staff epaulets from various patriotic grosgrain ribbons!"

Well, that's one thing I don't care for. There is no authorization for crews to make their own shoulder loops. Crew patches, t-shirts, etc is great. But ixnay on shoulder loops.

• 2 weeks later...

Our camp staff is a 'real' Venturing Crew that has several outings during the off-season and they also work on advancement. The Advisors are the Director, the Program Director and various other adults who serve on summer staff.

emb,

Forgive me, I wasn't communicating clearly.

The Scout Reservation, and its associated camps, issues staff epaulets to Boy Scouts and Venturers hired for staff. While they are supposed to be "during the season," most young people wear them as a badge of honor for a couple years. Is it outside UG? Yes. Is it a morale builder? Yes. I tend to fall towards morale builders, but then again I am a Uniform Licensee .

Now that we've done that, how was your week at PTC?