New Crew Officer Positions

I was just wondering if any of you Venturing Crews out there have selected the positions of Crew Historian, Crew Aide, Crew Quartermaster yet? Personally I think they are a little too Boy scout oriented for a venturing crew but I would love to hear other opinions. While there may be some benefits I do not want to see our crew become modeled like a troop, that is not what venturing is supposed to be about. I can hear all you scoutmasters out there already moaning, lol.

The 80/20 rule works among youth members as well as adults, Someone in the leadership is already looking after gear and taking pictures and recording what the crew does. Expanding the positions may get more members constructively involved. Many hands mean lighter work for all.

The gear guy/gal's job should be titled in context of what the Crew's purpose is:

- Theater/music Crew (I know of a couple): Property Master

- Camping/HA Crew: QM.

- Re-enacting crew: Era dependent. Stosh's military re-enactors may want to have a QM, a group doing SCA sorts of stuff may want a Steward.

We have a Sergeant, a Corporal and a Company Clerk. If push came to shove we would call them President, VP and Sec/Treas. Civil War era naming configuration.

It may be recalled that the Assistant Patrol Leaders of today were once referred to as corporals. BP used military naming conventions until they were later changed to be more PC/non-military of today.

Stosh

Yah, I agree. Too artificial and Boy-Scouty. Venturing aged youth don't need that kind of imposed structure.

Crews should simply choose their own officer structure and titles to fit their needs.

To be honest, I think troops should, too. Da old law of "unintended consequences." If Librarian (or whatever) is listed, then a whole mess of troops feel like they must have that position, even though they don't have a library and have no intention of getting one. So some poor lad gets a signoff for a position that really taught him nuthin' about responsibility. And the poor kid who's been puttin' in hours and hours on the troop web page keepin' it up to date doesn't get credit because there's no "Webmaster" position.

B

We aren't using these positions yet. Those positions match positions in Boy Scouting and Sea Scouting. The original announcement stated that they would qualify as POR for Eagle Scout on the next update of the Eagle application.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

My Daughters crew just elected a young lady to the crew historian position, that way they can have one of the crew members clip news articles, and collect photos from everyone, rather than having one of the parents or advisors doing it. They want to take care of everything within the crew and we tell them "go for it"