Philmont Question

I'm considerig going to PTC for the Sea Scout Leader Training next summer. But, I would have to bring Mrs. TP and my seven year old triplets. What do you think of this for a family vacation and at that age, what are your experiences with the youngster programs? Please.

Our family vacation was spent at PTC this past summer. It was great and all three of my children enjoyed it immensely.

My daughter was in the Ropers - 9 yr. old girls. My 12 year old in the Trailblazers - 12 yr. old boys. My oldest turned 14 at Philmont so he was a few days to young for the trek but had the time of his life as Broncos - 14 to 21 yr old (co-ed). My wife was a Silverado (all 29 yr old :)). Some of the Silverados did the museums and shopping but her group did COPE and other neat stuff. All made lasting friendships from around the country.

I noticed that many of the attendees were there for their sixth, seventh or more time. They do it every year. It is a wonderful way to take a vacation. The one who had the least amount of fun was me - sitting in a classroom most of the time. Although I had a wonderful time myself.

P.S. Last summer was a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience Philmont after a summer of rain. Everything was in bloom, once dry meadows were wetlands. It was georgous.

I second Acco wholeheartedly! PTC is a great family vacation. We went in 2000 and everyone had a terrific time, spouse and all 3 kids. PTC has a wonderful program for all ages. Family's only complaint: mess hall food. My only regret is that I wish someone had told me in advance to save my reciepts 'cause it would have been tax-deductible (my portion that is).

We went in 2000. I of course had a good time. OJ had a good time and was busy all the time he was there.

The food was OK.

There were a few problems with parents not keeping their kids under control and these little people running around the tents late at night.

Her That Must Be Obeyed had an OK time, she said that she enjoyed it, but is in no rush to go back. Living in a tent is not her idea of fun. She unlike her old man is kinda shy. Me being a smoker was a frequent visitor to the designated smoking area, where of course I got to meet the regulars and would spent way too long talking,she wasn't happy and seen it as if I was deserting her.

I would go back in a heart beat, but would stop at Las Vegas first and leave her there.

How does Mrs Pounder enjoy camping and spending her vacation in a tent and away from you for a good portion of the day?

Eamonn.

Wednesdays at PTC at family days, meaning there is no program and families get to do what they want. We drove over the staggeringly gorgeous Sangre de Cristo Mountains and spent the day in Taos. (mm-mmm! good food!) Other folks visited Santa Fe or other places in the region.

Speaking of which, Eamonn, I just realized I don't know which Las Vegas you are referring to! Nevada, or just-down-the- highway in New Mexico?