We' re Starting a Sea Scout Ship

After months of debate and discussion, My Chartered Organization is starting a Sea Scout Ship.

This is the first Ship on island since the 60's. We have a committee and an experienced Skipper ready to go. We have 5 Sea Scouts ready to hit the water sailing or Scuba diving. I signed on as the Chartered Organization Representative. It looks like they'll have a lot of fun.

At first, we were supposed to transition our Venturing Crew into the Sea Scout Ship but decided to just start the Ship as a separate unit. Some Venturers expressed that they didn't want to be part of the Ship.

We're working on getting access to a 40' tricat, a 30' barge, and some SCUBA gear.

We'll see how this works out.

Matua

Thanks Trail Pounder,

I'm caught up in the excitement of the new unit. The Skipper and Sea Scouts are planning their uniform. Their going with 3 types of uniforms. I'll post what they come up with later.

As the Charter Rep, I suggested that they start brainstorming on activities. SCUBA certification is first on the list. It looks like we'll have a great year.

It's hard staying on the sidelines but I know I have too. The Skipper has his job to do. It just feels good seeing a new unit form from the ground up.

Matua

TP,

Do you know anything about Sea Scouts who earn the Quartermaster Award are promoted to E-3 in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard upon completion of basic training?

My Skipper for the ship found it on the web and now we can't locate it. I've asked my DE to see if he can get a hard copy from council regarding this. I've called the recruiters, both navy and coast guard, and they'll get back to me Monday morning.

We want to use this to our advantage as one of our recruiting points for potential Sea Scouts.

Anyway, we gained access to a 25' sailboat from the local yacht club here. We'll probably use that to start training until we get the 40' tricat. We even discovered a sunken fiberglass row boat in good condition in 25' of water in the lagoon. The coast guard and port police said that if we bring it up. It's ours, Something about salvage laws. I have to look that up. So within two weeks time, we may have our first boat even if it's a row boat.

I can't believe the number of people who are approaching us about our Ship willing to help out. It's just amazing. The local university cooperative extension service is willing to get a local navigator to train our Sea Scouts using ancient navigation techniques using the stars and waves.

Having Fun,

Matua(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

Matua, what you said about getting promoted in the Navy, etc sounds like it would be true. I say that because there are several things you can do to be an E-2 or E-3 before you even leave for basic for the Army:)

One of which is being an Eagle Scout.;)

Hops, If I was advising someone who earned Eagle Scout and I knew was a talented, self-starter, I'd probably tell him to think about college first and join the ROTC. He would then join the service as a lieutenant. Even being the world's lowliest lieutenant beats the snot out of being an E-2 or E-3. The most senior E-3 in the army still pops to attention when the lowliest O-1 enters the room. Plan B, there was at one time a program where a "smart guy" could go to basic training, then AIT, and then directly to OCS. If you're on the ball enough to do all the things you do, research the ROTC route instead.

Trail "been an E-2" Pounder

Mr. Hopper,

Okay. That's better. Now we're on the same page. Something that did catch my eye about the application/selection process was that they are not looking for someone who joined every club, played every sport, and did everything. They're looking for applicant who participated in activities that they excelled in and more importantly took a leadership role in. Eagle Scout does carry weight. Athletics carries weight. I would throw in four years of Spanish wouldn't hurt. Class ranking and GPA matters and then finally, the ACT and SATs would make you or break you. You'll need to hit the ACT in the 29-32 range to compete with your future peers.

You'll take the ACT test in two years. It's a test that will matter. You can also find a testing center at a junior college that will offer the SATs. I would take both tests and submit the one I did better on.

This is all hearsay. Can someone who actually went to a service academy please comment.