In my district, we will be recharting at District Roundtable this week. A couple of years ago, we rechartered in February. Then, the council made a change to have all districts recharter by the end of the year (December 31). This year, our district decided to move the recharter up so that rechartering would not interfere with all of the upcoming holidays. In my opinion, a good move.

Here is my question for all of those gathered around our virtual campfire: when do you recharter, and when do you receive you new membership cards and recharter documentation?

"Here is my question for all of those gathered around our virtual campfire: when do you recharter, and when do you receive you new membership cards and recharter documentation?"

Our scout charter runs Jan 1 through Dec 31. I believe the deadline is the end of November. If we are lucky we might get our cards and documents about April. I suspect it is done much sooner but the path from registrar to CC is evidently more involved than I would think.

We're in the middle of recharter right now, we gave out packets last month, next week's round table we're hoping to have a few packets back, and we set the date of December round table to have everything done. Our District Commissioner has been on us (UC's) to go out and provide all the help we can with our units, and we're hoping this works out pretty well. Previously, some units didn't have recharter packets back until Feb/Mar/Apr, even though our charter dates run 1/1-12/31.

Not trying to hijack the thread.

But why would Rechartering packs be handed out at a R/T meeting?

I don't have a pack at hand, but back when I was District Commissioner, we ensured that these packets were given to the Unit Committee Chair. And then picked up from the Unit Committee Chair.

In the District I serve we don't see that many Chairpersons at a R/T meeting.

Ea.

"Roundtable is just a convenient place to start"???

If you have the CC at the R/T meetings? I can see how it is works.

But I really see no reason why a CC would be at R/T?

If these packets are given to the Unit Leader?

Clearly the U/C is not doing the job the way it should be done.

Ea.

True Eamonn, but the fact is that many districts have few to zero UC's in this day and age and the RT is the method that many districts use to distribute charters. In my district the DE brings the charters to those units who do not make it to RT.

Our charter runs 2/1 - 1/31. We'll start the process this week at R/T when we get the packets. We normally have the cards and certificates in time for our spring CoH (late March/early April). I suspect the reason for handing out at R/T is convenience, assuming unit leaders take them back to their CCs, or, do it themselves.

Our District recharters in March (charter runs from April to March)

Our District does the same as jet526.

Recharter packets are availalbe at R/T.

At R/T there is a mail box, well a box with hanging folders in it, for each unit.

The DE brings this to R/T.

Flyers, info and recharter packets are placed into each mail box.

Any Leader from a unit can pick up items from the mail box.

Any units that did not pick up the items in their mail box the UC takes them to deliver to the Unit.

Since R/T are not very well attended I would say less than 10% arepicked up at R/T

I suppose a lot depends on how you view rechartering.

If it's just about counting heads and parting with money?

It really doesn't matter who gets the packet.

If it's about taking the time to stop and look at how the unit is doing? Where it is going? And seeking ways that might help make improvements?

Then, a meeting with the CC, even if it's not as convenient is the way to go.

Ea.

No, our CC has never been to a RT. This year our CO picked it up and took it to him.

UCs doing their job? He may be, I've not figured out what that is and the one time I asked him to do something he managed to lose the application. Heck, I didn't even know who he was for my first year as SM. But then this is all for another thread.(This message has been edited by jet526)

Eamonn, I just saw your question.

The reason we handed them out at round table, is that it is easier. All the UC contacted their CC, and a majority of them did show up to last months RT. The reason being, we had a seperate training that day for the CC on using the online rechartering system. Over the last couple of years there has been a gradual trasfer for us, and since everything has to be online now, we thought it convenient to have the CC come to the RT, get some training, and pick up their packets.

I'd say we had about a 60% turnout for the CCs last month, and the UCs and our two DEs took the remaining packets and have been delivering them.

If it's about taking the time to stop and look at how the unit is doing? Where it is going? And seeking ways that might help make improvements?

Shouldn't a UC being doing this every month and not just at recharter time?

I think that unit performance and rechartering are 2 different issues, even though there are items that cross between the two.

Our DE took the time and met with every COR or IH for every unit in the district last year.

Outside of money and numbers he doesn't have any idea to know how a unit is doing or any ways to make improvements - that's the job of a unit commissioner.

Mar 1 - Feb 28/29

One year I had to make special arrangements with the DE to leave the packet at the scout office instead of the trunk of his car so I could pick it up because it was Feb 1 and I still didn't have the packet in my sweaty little hands. :)

Stosh