I'm sure that someone will chime in here with chapter and verse from BSA to respond to my ruminations but that's not what I'm looking for.

The council size thread prompted me to ponder "why small councils?" or in some case just "why?"

In many cases, it makes sense to have a small council because the next closest council is 50 miles away over unimproved roads.

I'm wondering about councils like the "Piedmont Council" in California (there's another Piedmont Council in North Carolina). 1,000 Scouts? Just one district? Apparently in the same area is another small council that serves only the city of Alemeda Calif. So there are two small councils embedded in the San Francisco Bay Area Council.

SFBAC is fairly small, only about 300 units which is the size of my new mega-district Why not merge the three councils and make a bigger council? Marin Council seems to be another small council, only a few miles away.

Any thoughts?

A business decision based on a combination of population density, geographic boundaries, and financial feasability.

Or, if it easier to comprehend... it is conspiracy determined in clandestined chambers by unamed cloaked figures who ride in around in top secret black stealth helicopters who base their decisions on the personal information accessed through the misuse of your personal social security number.

Whichever you chose to accept.

Here's my educated guess. Is a combination of two factors:

1. Economics - average home prices in Piedmont are over $1.0 million - my guess is that they aren't real interested in having their funds diluted in the SFBAC pool.

2. Summer Camp - Marin Council has a very nice summer camp in the Sierras. They probably aren't all that interested in having to compete with all of the SFBAC for slots at that site.

Personally, I lean toward a combination of Bob White's theories. ;)The small councils I know of in Florida and Hawai'i do not have a logical geographic reason to exist. Maui Council in Hawai'i is in the middle of a council that stretches from Hawai'i to the Marshall Islands. Economics plays a part in that one. Some estate endowed them apparently as long as they stay independent.

BW is most likely correct. The number of councils, sizes, locations, staffing etc. are simple business decisions.

"A business decision based on a combination of population density, geographic boundaries, and financial feasability."

True, but business decisions are often based on many more parameters than just the above. Things like, a national exec's daughter might be married to the council executive, his nephews say are employed by the council summer camp, the council exec is a really good golf player, etc. all come into play as well. I'm sure GM has automobile factories they keep open for what seems like no logical reason to some.

SA

A small councils main reason for consolidating in to a larger council is because they are in financial trouble.

It is unlikley their board would choose to stay in debt in order to support the SE. And no SE with a father-in-law at the national headquarters is looking to stay in a small council when you consider that larger councils pay higher salaries.

Your scenario is highly unlikely, although the scouters who prefer rumors and conspiracies will undoubtly buy into it.