Younger (than average?) Unit Commissioner just starting out

Howdy Folks. I'm a new UC with 5 years experience as a scouter. In this time I've served my son's Pack in numerous ways and leadership positions (see my profile). I decided to transition to UC work when I stepped down as CM this spring. At 35, I'm the youngest commissioner in our district by at least 15-20 years.

I've taken all the cub leadership training available and have always been a regular RT attendee. Like many of you, I've also spent a small fortune on the official BSA printed materials. In one week I'll be attending my Commissioner training and in the fall I'm signed-up for wood badge (employer paid no less!). I'm going to start attending boy scout leadership training asap. I'm engaged and self motivated - I love the scouting program and learning as much as I can about it.

HOWEVER, I'm concerned my age will result in a perceived lack of experience that will handicap me when dealing with unit scouters. Has anyone had any experiences AS or WITH a younger UC? Also, how do you convince units you're not the district spy?

IHS

Joe

Your experience lends credence but people are more interested in their own stories than yours, so don't put too much faith in them. Your attitude and your love of Scouting is foremost not age. Being of willing assistance and being a friend is vital. Since answers change with time, your current training will shine. FB

Welcome! Around here there has been an effort to recruit younger, more active UCs rather than bestowing this position on retiring SMs as sort of an honorific. Maybe you are the leading edge of this same effort in your area.

Are you planning to start out primarily with cub packs? That's a place where you already have a good deal of experience and where your recent active involvement in the program is a tremendous asset. Seems to me the cub program changes more frequently and in bigger ways than the boy scout program and most of the older UCs I've met, while good people, have not kept up w/ the program - resulting in poor advice and excessive "story telling." Most likely any cub pack would be happy to have you, would not see your age as a drawback (you'll probably have more experience than 90% of them), and will value your help.

Also I've noticed the "district spy" worry seems less pronounced with cub leaders, who are nearly always thrilled to have a friend in the district. But in general, I think a light touch is best. Offer information on trainings, upcoming events, etc., as you start building your relationship, rather than jumping right in to tell them how to run THEIR program. Short of major safety or Youth protection concerns, wait until they ask you about advice on their program. If there's a weak area (say, outdoor program) then providing information can be a good way to open discussion without seeming threatening. And keep in mind that what worked for you and your pack may, or may NOT, work for them and theirs.

Our troop does not appear to have a UC (or if we do no one has ever seen him or her) so I won't comment on that relationship because I haven't seen it function. Others here will no doubt have advice for you there, though.

Keep us posted on how things progress!

Lisa'bob

Hallelujah! The Commissioners Corps needs some younger people and some new blood. Although our present UC is outstanding, we have had some in the past who were so out of touch with boys and the times. They hadn't seen the inside of a tent in decades, and it was always "When I was a SM..." which was 25 years previous. Don't worry about your age or experience, Enthusiasm will win out. I was a SM at age 22 so I can understand your concern. Don't worry about it!

Dale

Age of commissioner shoulsn't matter it your experiance and attitude that matters.

Of course, you need to buy a Official Red Wool Jacket and Campaign hat, then make sure you get your official UP ID card and Badge. With these items your ready to go.

Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log, take a pull on the Nalgene.

If you're

- willing to be a servant leader

- willing to be on the communication grid with your units, so you know what's going on

- willing to point the way to resources (RT, NLE, Position Specific, Pow-Wow, UOS, Family Camps, Day Camp, Webelos Camp)

- willing to BE THERE for the units on your list

Then, you will be welcomed with open arms.

If however, you are the invisible man, I promise that you will be bypassed.

I've noticed that this Scouting things works really well if all the adults line up to support the synergistic whole.

In the world of Cub scouting you have much experience. I became involved with the district committee when my son was a wolf and became a commisioner when he was a bear. I was assigned to a pack that had not seen a commisioner in two years. They were very happy to see me. I went to their pack meetings and leader meetings. I made myself available to them. If they had a question, that I did not know the answer, I would tell them that and that I would get the answer for them and follow up with them. I let them know about upcoming events and trainings. If you have enthousiasm and a caring attitude you will succeed no matter how young you are.

I have not been asked to serve as a Troop commisioner. Most of my experience of Boy Scouts was as a youth. Although I am Wood Badge trained and an Eagle Scout, I am still percieved as a Cub Scout Leader.

In our district right now, we are targeting recruitment of former cubmasters and den leaders to serve as commisioners. We have found that many of these former cub leaders are getting lost in troops with 6+ ASM's and we don't want to lose the experience that they have.

Regarding being the District spy.. I try and not be one. Yes, I report on how my units are doing, but because I care about the health of the unit. We report Green, Yellow or Red. but I talk about how I am helping the the key 2 of the unit to correct the issue if we are yellow or red. I am not there to spy, but to be helpful. That comes from building trust

How opportune are Cubmaster Randy's remarks... I attended the Commissioner Basic Training this past weekend. It was an interesting 7 hours where 8 trainers representing 3 districts presented the material from the Commissioner Basic Training manual. For a couple of months I've been studying all of the official BSA Commissioner materials (inclusing the CBT) so this training was not exactly new in all respects, but there were a few things that the books didn't tell me. Eight trainers and 1 Commissioner trainee. Yep, no one else showed-up from any district. There was one other trainee of sorts, but he wasn't a Commissioner.

I understand it's not my responsibility to select and recruit Commissioners but I'm going to talk with my ADC and DC about giving them a hand. In our district we have 4 Unit Commissioners for 66 units and yes, I'm including myself. Apparently our neighboring districts are slightly better off but without any attendees it's hard to heap praise on them.

At any rate, I'm very thankful for everyone's comments and encouragement. I'm going to try to put into practice the several pearls of wisdom that were shared. It's now clear to me that my age will probably not be the Achilles heel when dealing with units. It's more than likely going to be a sense of astonishment that our district does actually have UC's who perform unit visitations.

Thanks in no small part to Cubmaster Randy's comments on enlisting Commissioners I'm spinning this off into a new thread regarding ideas for selecting, recruiting and retaining Commissioners. If anyone has any further comments on 'Younger (than average?) Unit Commissioner just starting out' I'd of course appreciate them.

IHS

Joe