Give A Guy A Break.

Looking at one of the other threads.

It would seem that someone is none to happy with the job that their Scout Exec. is doing.

While like in every field there are good ones and bad ones.

We need to remember who hired the Scout Exec.

Eamonn

OK, who composes the Council Executive Board and who chose them?

In a more general tone, is there an overall organizational chart for BSA that actually explains all the levels, who is subordinate, etc. down to the DE? I haven't found it on the web.

Our man of Steele can give details of how the Region or National puts together a list of people who are eligible to be a Scout Exec.

When our Council needed to fill the position. A search committee was formed. The people on this committee were all volunteers from the Council Executive Board.

This committee studied the list.

They also looked at the needs of the council.

What did we need this person to do?

Did we need a guy/gal with special skills in a certain area?

They interviewed and met with the candidates and then reinterviewed them and their wife's.

The search committee then made its' recommendation to the board.

The board had /has the final word.

It is also worth remembering that the Scout Exec. Just like a DE. is part of the Council key3.

He or She does have to report to the board. Who can if it feels that the Scout Exec.is not performing well dismiss him or her.

While I know that I have crossed swords with our guy a few times. Most of the time on matters to do with money, raising money and goals. I do have to remind myself that when we were looking for a Scout Exec. We wanted someone who would help us raise more money.

Like it or not. He is doing what we asked him to do.

I think it is very important that we remember that we are we.

Not them and us.

At the end of the day we have the same goals. We are doing our best to make the mission of Scouting real.

At times he or she will be faced with making tough decisions. Which might not be very popular. But we hired him or her to that.

Eamonn

Eamonn, excellent post.

Let me cycle back to packsaddle's questions. Your council should have an organizational chart that shows the professional staff and who reports to whom. In another thread, some time ago, I listed each title in the BSA profession and defined what it meant.

The organizational structure of the professional staff varies by council. District Executive is an entry-level position. They report to someone on your council's professional staff.

All councils have a Scout Executive position. The Scout Executive is the Executive Director of the Council. In the council I currently serve, I report directly to the Scout Executive and the DE's report directly to me.

In the council I came from a year ago, the Scout Executive had three positions that reported directly to him: Finance Director, Program Director, and myself, the Field Director. All DE's reported directly to me.

The selection of council executive board members is through the same nominating committee process used by districts. About 90 dayss prior to the council annual meeting, a nominating committee is formed. The nominating committee is normally 3-6 people appointed by the council president. They will select and recruit for the executive board.

At the council annual meeting, officers and board members are elected. Voting members consist of current Executive Committee Members (volunteers), current Executive Board members, Regional Board members residing in the council, and chartered organization representative. Board members can also be added during the year by a voice vote of the executive board and often are.

I hope this helps.

Dave