? from a parent of an ordeal member

my son is trying to figure out if he has to attend an OA campout between his ordeal weekend and the next fall when he would be eligible for brotherhood. From what he said he read in his book he does not have to, but this surprises me. I'm an outsider so I don't know. He has a conflict with the spring trip that as SPL feels he should be with the troop.

so, does he need to attend to be eligible for brotherhood? or will it look bad if he submits for brotherhood without attending?

he's wanting to stay equal with his friend (yes he can be competitive LOL) so he's torn, but feels he should be with the troop.

thanks in advance you all have always been great with answers and opinions

Has to? answer NO.. My son went through it a while back, and I know there was some things he needed to do to be an active member, and had to write something up to state why he felt he should become brotherhood.

He should try to attend as many of the monthly meetings as possible, there may be something the OA is doing he could help out with, which he will find out about and help organize at those meetings. Our OA have helped with Hike-a-thons or camporees in our district..

There are other things he can do to show a willingness to be an active meeting, so nothing is a do or die event.

I do not recall there being ANY requirements for an ordeal member to perform prior to Brotherhood. Usually there is a prep meeting in the afternoon and then the Brotherhood Walk and Ceremony that night. At least that is how it is in our Chapter.

Now as Moose has indicated, being active by attending the monthly Chapter meetings and getting involved in one of the "teams" (ie Cook, health and Safety, ceremonies, inductions, elections) is always a good thing.

But as your son may recall, one of the main goals of an OA member is "Servicing his Troop." As SPL, his number one priority is performing his duties as the leader of the Troop.

Primary responsibility of every Arrowman is their unit. So he should skip the OA event since he is SPL and vital to the unit.

Concur in trying to go to as many monthly meeintgs and events as possible. Have him read the OA handbook and talk to Brotherhood members about Brotherhood requirements. As I tell new Ordeal members, " If I can pass the Brotherhood test, ANYONE can pass the Brotherhood test."

The 10 month time from ordeal is the only requirement. As my son determined. Since he did nothing OA related between ordeal and brotherhood. As SPL, the troop came first and everything was a conflict. He could have made the meetings, though.

Of course I'd have to admit I haven't set the best example on that one . . . . .

yeah sadly he has been the victim of circumstance with the monthly meetings as he is not old enough to drive, his father and I each have something weekly that night, his sister drives but is a LIT with Girl Scouts that night, and we don't live in the same town (or even on the way too) as our troop. We are hoping that by this fall we will have one other person who goes that can lend a hand with driving him.

But sadly from what he's heard from the OA members in his troop only a handful from the district attend. They do attend the campouts and camporees though.

thanks again for your answers - I will let him know he can quit worrying and trying to decide between the two.

Your troop should have a Troop OA Representative (a scout who represents the troop at meetings and OA functions) and an advisor who co-ordinates transportation for him. Anyone in your troop who wants to go to a meeting or event should contact them to carpool.

Stone,

in case i have don't so already, welcome to the forums. unfortunately not every chapter is organized like that. Been in 5 councils, and only one was like that. Now we do carpool to major events, i.e. Conclave, Ordeals, Fellowships, etc, but not the chapter meetings.